Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I just thought I'd share with you how the Japanese name of the HR-V is pronounced since I've seen it dubbed the "Weasel" on quite a few auto blogs. Having lived in Japan and can speak some Japanese I can attest that it absolutely does not rhyme with weasel.

The name Vezel was coined from the words vehicle + bezel. And it is pronounced roughly between "bezel" and how most Americans pronounce "basil" (the "a" as in "bake" not "back"). Since there is no "v" sound in Japanese it is approximated with a "b" sound by Japanese though it would be proper for a foreigner to correctly pronounce the V. So in short it would in English be best pronounced as VAY-zuhl.

·
Registered
620 Posts
For those who don't know (I didn't) the word 'bezel' means "a grooved ring holding the glass or plastic cover of a watch face or other instrument in position."

Not really sure why that has anything to do with the Vezel though.

·
Registered
741 Posts
i'm not sure either
eventually i think we should see some video of them talking about what it means along with anything else about it that's significant

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For those who don't know (I didn't) the word 'bezel' means "a grooved ring holding the glass or plastic cover of a watch face or other instrument in position."

Not really sure why that has anything to do with the Vezel though.
It can also mean "the face of a cut gem". According to Honda's FAQ the name was meant to express "a car that has multi-faceted appeal and value" that like a gemstone can change depending on the angle it is viewed. Gotta love how Japanese name things! Hi-rider Revolutionary Vehicle anyone? :D

·
Registered
741 Posts
still better than random numbers and letters although at times those can have a cool effect especially when it's something like "s2000" it just sounds cool.

·
Registered
741 Posts
it was ugly to me

might be why I never see or hear of people having one, it's always older nissans or toyotas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts