Honda HR-V Forum banner

What's the easiest way to wire in a crossover that goes to the tweeters and woofers?

5K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  Johnny.Radical 
#1 · (Edited)
2018 EX-L
So I can't seem to find anyone who's actually said HOW they do this. I can see 3 ways that it is possible (maybe 4) from easiest to hardest.

1. Splice the crossover into the woofer wires under the dash and run new wires to the tweeters.
2. Splice the crossover into the woofer wire AND the tweeter wire where they are spliced originally.
3. Run the wire through the door grommet to put the crossover in the door and run wires to the tweeters.
4. Aftermarket stereo with separate wiring going to both.

I want to do option #1, but I have no idea how to do it and nobody seems to have guides on it.

Getting the wires to the tweeters is very easy, I can see the tweeter wires and opening when I stick my head under the driver and passenger side dash. BUT I am having no luck actually seeing where the tweeter wire goes because it seems attached alllll the way up in the dash where I can't reach, and there are MULTIPLE black wire covers and I don't know which one it is. My crossover that came with my component set probably has ~2.5-3 ft of wire so I may need to get some more to make a small run to wherever it needs to go, but I'm lost where to go from here. Do I hack open the wire covers and look for the right colored wires? If I do that I am worried there may be similar wires or I may ruin the wiring harness/make a mess of the cables.

Has anyone done this before and know the best place to splice the crossover in?

P.S. I already have the woofers installed in the door with the crossover, and then had bass blockers on the tweeters, to make it easier, but was told this is bad, and would like to do it right if I can.

See less See more
#4 ·
What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

Are you referring to passive crossovers or a multi-channel active crossover?

Are you building a high quality sound system or just installing quality aftermarket speakers and a subwoofer with some frequency filtering?

Reactions: John35g
#5 ·
What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

Are you referring to passive crossovers or a multi-channel active crossover?

Are you building a high quality sound system or just installing quality aftermarket speakers and a subwoofer with some frequency filtering?
For a little more clarification, I got a component system with 2 woofers, 2 tweeters, and 2 passive crossovers that connect to both.
Specifically these: RSE-165 - Auditor 6-1/2″ (165mm) two-way component kit

So I want to tap into the factory wiring that goes to the doors, splice in the crossover, and run a new wire from the crossovers to the tweeters.
(Drew a Picasso painting below what I want to do, I want to find where I can splice in the crossover under the dash, before the door)
Handwriting Rectangle Font Slope Parallel

#9 ·
and a final statement- the OEM head unit will only produce a signal that is "so good " - and IMO the unit is average at best.
your crossover may not do anything depending on the quality of the signal the head unit sends out.
This includes frequency output etc - may not get the High HZ range you may want or need.

#10 ·
and a final statement- the OEM head unit will only produce a signal that is "so good " - and IMO the unit is average at best.
your crossover may not do anything depending on the quality of the signal the head unit sends out.
This includes frequency output etc - may not get the High HZ range you may want or need.
Yeah, ideally I want to upgrade the head unit (preferably before getting a reasonable subwoofer) but have found many are either incompatible/don't work well with the 2 cameras/steering wheel/USB ports, or are exorbitantly expensive. Definitely want a new one though, just don't want to spend more than $500 on one, and until I find a proper recommendation that is recent I will probably hold off. I mainly wanted clarity over anything, as the stock speakers are quite muddy. Can't say I am totally pleased with the new speaker's sound either at the moment though.

#12 · (Edited)
So update on this:
I ended up adding the crossovers behind the stereo. I took the stereo out, found the two sets of speaker wires and spliced them a few inches down the plug. I spliced the crossover "in" and 'woofer out' sides into the stock cable. Then, I ran the 'tweeter out' and the new tweeter's cables together under the dash. This was tricky but the gist:

The driver's side I was able to reach up to the tweeter location and almost behind the stereo so that was easy to route, get a flashlight and shine it from above to find where to reach towards.

The passengers side was a little easier but different. I ran the cable right above the air vents in the dash. I was able to fish the tweeter cable from the passenger side to the tweeter hole, then the crossover wire was easy to connect to it. I'll try and attach a picture.

Sound is decent and more clear than stock with less bass. I've already ordered an aftermarket stereo. (A Dasaita Vivid with the CB015 wiring harness)
Car Vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

#21 ·
I am working on the HU, speakers, subwoofer and sound deadening... Not sure how to tell if the sound deadening is doing anything but so far I have it in the doors and in the trunk. I want to see if I can pull the back/front carpet up separately and place it rather than taking apart the interior and carpet to do it. That far exceeds my skills in DIY.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.