Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 LX AWD Modern Steel Metallic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2021 HR-v came with wheel locks. Everyone refers to the key code, and to keep it in a safe place. What does it look like. Is it a card. I have my "bag of nuts" in the glove box, but there is no card in with the nuts. Is it perhaps the sewn in tag inside the bag? (Picture attached)

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
270 Posts
There should be a sticker with a letter or code printed on the Locking Wheel nut, or it may even be engraved on it.

If you were not provided one or it has come off, any Honda dealer should be able to tell you what it is.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't think that wheel locks are a factory option, only as an accessory, so there is probably no Honda database with these numbers. The "key code" people are probably referring to is the vehicle ignition/lock key, which you should have. The dealer can also provide that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There should be a sticker with a letter or code printed on the Locking Wheel nut, or it may even be engraved on it.

If you were not provided one or it has come off, any Honda dealer should be able to tell you what it is.
Yes, there is a McGard P/N engraved on the removal tool. I think I'll drop this in the dealer's lap for an explanation.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I bought my wheel locks OEM but from the parts dept- i do believe there was a card with the code printed on it - and I had to register and mail the card back in (and kept the other part of the card) - to Honda.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think that wheel locks are a factory option, only as an accessory, so there is probably no Honda database with these numbers. The "key code" people are probably referring to is the vehicle ignition/lock key, which you should have. The dealer can also provide that.
Thanks. Yes, I have that ignition key code which is a plastic tag now as opposed to a stamped aluminum tags I got with my previous cars. I'll make the dealer earn his commission.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't think that wheel locks are a factory option, only as an accessory, so there is probably no Honda database with these numbers.
Apologies, they are standard with alloy wheels over here. Not sure who makes them, but you have to go to the dealer for a replacement.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought my wheel locks OEM but from the parts dept- i do believe there was a card with the code printed on it - and I had to register and mail the card back in (and kept the other part of the card) - to Honda.
Thanks for the info. This subject just gets stranger and stranger 😕.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Don't Worry... Techs have a universal Honda unit for Honda keys - don't need your/our key. Plus, most every serious theft-gang also has one by now.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Don't Worry... Techs have a universal Honda unit for Honda keys - don't need your/our key. Plus, most every serious theft-gang also has one by now.
Yup, that's what one dealer used even when I left my locking key with them.

There are posts on various UK forums of people replacing their locking wheel nuts as they are worried they may shear/round off (which happened to me), or to prevent thieves from trashing the interior of their vehicles looking for the key.

However, it is a THATCHAM requirement to have them fitted, which makes them an insurance requirement, so on they stay.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Don't spend a lot of time with wheel locks. In fact, I would remove them and not use them.
Replace them with regular lug nuts.

As was mentioned above, research shows they are not deterring any criminals.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, that's what one dealer used even when I left my locking key with them.

There are posts on various UK forums of people replacing their locking wheel nuts as they are worried they may shear/round off (which happened to me), or to prevent thieves from trashing the interior of their vehicles looking for the key.

However, it is a THATCHAM requirement to have them fitted, which makes them an insurance requirement, so on they stay.
I will check my new insurance policy, and if not specifically called out, I will replace them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't spend a lot of time with wheel locks. In fact, I would remove them and not use them.
Replace them with regular lug nuts.

As was mentioned above, research shows they are not deterring any criminals.
Yes, that is my belief also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts