Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wheel well material felt like flimsy cardboard. The last two Hondas i owned have hard plastic in the wheel well. I supposed they used the new material to cut down weight and cost. I wonder how well they will hold up in the long run?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I was wondering about this as well, as I had noticed it and thought it was odd. I did notice that the CR-V did have the same material on the rear, but plastic on the front.

·
Registered
445 Posts
It is a sound deadening material. I sold Chrysler's for many years and this was considered a major selling point starting on the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My opinion? It think it really works, and seems to hold up well over the years.

·
Administrator
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The material is probably stronger than it looks. The first time I noticed it and thinking a road debris from the tire at high speed might put a hole through the material. We'll see how well the stuff holds up after the winter.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
It is a sound deadening material. I sold Chrysler's for many years and this was considered a major selling point starting on the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My opinion? It think it really works, and seems to hold up well over the years.
Agree....it is not a cost cutting material, but something extra to cut down on road noise. Honda deserves credit for putting this extra in. Good to hear that it holds up.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Had this material on my last two vehicles and like ti much better than the hard plastic crap......

Take a -10°F Winter and a hard ice chunk will crack that plastic in a heartbeat.
This material will flex and give and not crack.........doesn't squeak either.

Much improvement IMHO...

·
Registered
445 Posts
The material almost fells like the interior flooring. I would hesitate to use the term "carpet".
The flooring in the HR-V is a sore subject for me. No where is there more blatant cost cutting than that asbestos looking material in the floor. I'd rather just have a vinyl floor ala Element

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was looking at mine the other day when I was painting my muffler. Looks like felt covered cardboard. Icy slush I think would stick to it and destroy it. Time will tell.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I saw the flimsy looking material on my HRV wheel wells also. Also noticed the same cardboard looking material underneath the car. Hope that it lasts as it looks rather flimsy to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone noticed the fabric in the wheel well? I've never seen this in a car.. I have a 2019 hrv touring. I'm just wondering if it will hold up.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Has anyone noticed the fabric in the wheel well? I've never seen this in a car.. I have a 2019 hrv touring. I'm just wondering if it will hold up.
It will hold up. I have driven my car for nearly 4 years and 40k miles - rain, mud etc. and it's totally fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts