Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm bored...

I've been trying to figure out what to do with my HR-V.

Preface #1: I only have something like 8500 miles on the odo, meaning the tires will last me a little while longer. Maybe not quite as long as it should last, since I tend to push 40 mph on a 25 mph clover on ramp, which I feel is a little smaller than it should be (ie, I'm scrubbing off rubber). Anyway, the point is, right now, it's just "thinking" as I won't be doing any purchases until the tire wear down and need replacing.

Preface #2: I definitely curbed one wheel when I got little chunks of it chewed out by pile of bricks along a narrow driveway I had turned into. Another wheel got curbed before that, but I'm not sure if it was me or the valet at a rehab center. I did blame the valet at the time, because I could see yellow, which is what the curb is painted with. However, I've since noticed that the yellowing might actually be the aluminum itself... so now, I'm not sure.

That said, I dislike the HR-V's wheels, at least for the Touring. Despite the wheel being 7.5" wide with a tire that bulges to 8.9" (section width according to TireRack) , the lip of the wheel is way closer to "flushing" with the sidewall of the tires. Far more than I would like... especially now with two curbed wheels. Aesthetically, I don't like the look of the wheel either, though I guess this is a smaller issue than the curbing. I'm not really a fan of either the machine finish or the charcoal gray/grey of the "shark fin." Nor am I a fan of how the lip LOOKS like it sticks out away from the tire, though I guess it could be because I was more expecting how some tires have "lip guard" or something to that effect.

So, moving on... what I've been looking into is either swapping out the tires for something wider while keeping the wheels (225s?), swapping out the wheels for something narrower (7") while keeping similarly sized tires or swapping out both.

As far as tires go, I think I will want to move onto Michelin CrossClimate+ tires. I used Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on my Fit and I loved them... until they moved onto the 06 versions. Those feel like a step backwards to me (which means a lot, if a noob like me can tell the difference), but thats what Continental now uses for the EC DWS. My only dislike of the CC+ is that its directional, so I can't rotate/balance out any wear difference between the left and right side (if there is any).

As for wheels... this has more possibilities, though I would prefer them in black.

I kinda like the Sparco Assetto Gara, mostly because I'm a bit OCD. I want a wheel that is somewhat symmetrical with an even number of spokes and "matching" with the lug nut count. IE, I like 5 bolt pattern with 5 or 10 spokes. My Enkei RPF01s on my Fit would occasionally bother me with its 6 paired spokes and 4 bolt pattern. I would always look for one of the two axials that made it symmetrical, whenever I looked at it (as I would when walking back to the car during a delivery). I like that the 17" is relatively light weight and fairly inexpensive (cheapest of this bunch). What I'm worried about, are the claims on TireRack from a customer claiming they dented theirs and from another customer that the center cap is plastic that could melt. I dented one of my RPFs (visible on inspection, but bead's still unbroken)... something I really want to avoid repeating. And while I feel I'm not likely to melt the plastic caps, just reading about it is unpleasant. Oh, I'm also not too keen on the offset being 1 cm/10 mm less than the OE wheel. I'm hoping to keep it as close as possible to minimize the "poke." I'm not a fan of having tires push out past the body of the car.

Another wheel from TR that I'm sorta interested in, the O.Z. ALLEGGERITA HLT. It has a closer to OE offset (6 mm less than OE) and is lighter than the Assetto Gara. That said, the fact it has 9 spokes really rubs me the wrong way. Its neither an even number, particularly symmetrical nor does the spoke count "match" the bolt count. A bigger, more important gripe would be that it costs more than twice as much as the Sparco wheel.

The third wheel from TR that could be an option is... the Enkei PF01. Which would match the 17" PF01s I am currently using on the Fit (the 16" RPF01 I had for 7 years had to go due to a BBK that wouldn't fit with it). It has five "paired" spokes which gives it an even number of spokes and "matches" bolt count, but doesn't really make it as symmetrical as the Sparco. Has almost as high an offset and almost as light as the OZ Alleggreita HLT, but the Enkei is a little cheaper. What I don't like is the freaking bright silver paint job. For me, it's barely forgivable on my Fit because of the Storm Silver Metallic body color. But it would contrast way too much with the CBP of the HR-V. So the PF is a bit of a distant third option as far as wheels go from TR.

Aside from TR... the only other wheels that I'm interested in are both for the Honda Civic. Let's get this out of the way... I like the these Honda wheels primarily because of their style, more than the three previously mentioned wheels... and that's about it.

One Civic wheel is the 18" Black Alloy Wheels. Its only five spokes, but I like the way the spokes spiral out (as many of the newer Honda wheels do). The fact it's an 18" wheel makes me worry a bit about potholes more than a 17" wheel, but not as much as the other Civic wheel...

The other Civic wheel is the 19" HFP Alloy Wheels. This one is definitely my favorite of the bunch as far as looks go and triggers my OCD as little as the Sparco wheels. But damn, 19" is gonna give me a freaking panic attack when I see/feel potholes. I mean, to keep the same overall diameter, it's going to have full inch less sidewall from the wheel to the treads than the 17" wheels (which already worries me on occasion).

I didn't mention much else about the Honda wheels because what I like was mostly just the looks and that their offset should match the current wheels on the HR-V. Most of what I disliked are the same for both. They're OE wheels, so they're most likely gonna be heavy. Even more so when I think about the fact that if I got the aftermarket wheels, I would get them at 17" instead of the 18"/19".They're both 8" wide, which is even wider than the stock HR-V wheel. And that means if I choose either of these, I would have to have some really wide tires to go along with them (to "protect" the wheels), and that will most likely cause the wheel and tires to "poke" quite a bit, despite the OE offset. So, practically speaking, these two wheels are even more distant 4th and 5th options.

But man, I really like the look of the HFP wheel.

I did mention I'm bored, right?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Looks like you're trending toward an all dark look. That is a good look when clean, and scuff-free. I'm more the all-white version to hide the dirt and many scratches. Do any of the wheels you're looking at have more of an inset edge that might help prevent some of the curbing issues that you're experiencing? If not, then I'd say the black would be a good choice because that would give you an easy touch up color. Also maybe play with tirerack.com and see what the wheels look like on the car. That. might help make up your mind. Or, relieve some boredom! ;-)

·
Registered
137 Posts
So what is your goal with your HRV?

Keeping it for a long time?
Is your HRV your primary vehicle or your 5th vehicle? Daily commuter or occassional driver?
Do you run winter wheels and tires in the winter?
Improving handling/performance or just make it look better?

For your 2019 Touring, the original wheels are 17 x 7.5 with +55mm offset.
The original tires are likely the Michelin Primacy 215/55R17. A lame and poor performing tire that is smooth and quiet.
These tires are a little narrow for the 7.5inch wheel and as you mentioned, don't have a rim guard.
The 7.5inch wheels are 7.5" flange to flange but actually 8.5inches lip to lip.

The 7.5inch wheels are actually too narrow for performance use and too wide for winter use.

A google search for 2019 Touring brings up:

Are these the wheels you have?
These wheels don't appeal to me at all. The 2016-2018 HRV 5 spoke wheels look better to me.
The directional fan style and the 2 tone gray are too busy. And since the wheels have no lip and are convex, they look like hubcaps.

Your Tirerack links show 17x7 wheels. I would not be going to narrower wheels at all.
I also would not be going larger diameter in wheels.

Provide a bit more info and we can carry on the discussion.. :) Much better topic than this lame virus situation...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whoa... long ass post coming

Looks like you're trending toward an all dark look. That is a good look when clean, and scuff-free. I'm more the all-white version to hide the dirt and many scratches. Do any of the wheels you're looking at have more of an inset edge that might help prevent some of the curbing issues that you're experiencing? If not, then I'd say the black would be a good choice because that would give you an easy touch up color. Also maybe play with tirerack.com and see what the wheels look like on the car. That. might help make up your mind. Or, relieve some boredom! ;-)
I don't mind the all dark look, but really I prefer it to be less contrasting. That's why I dislike the machined face of the HR-V Touring wheels. With the grey inset and CBP of the HR-V itself, it just stands out too much for me. I had originally wanted the HR-V in MSM, not CBP, but it wasn't available. MSM would've let me use grey wheels, even the bright silver of the PF01s (if the MSM was light enough).

Here's my SSM Fit (image taken in July 2019)

I can't really do much about the blacked out windows. I had to get it tinted as the Fit turns into a toaster oven without tint. It's still a toaster with the tint, just not as bad. The tail light is smoked, but I wouldn't have minded if I could get it closer to matte grey/silver. The chrome version felt a little too bright nor was I a fan of the clear with blacked inside, so smoked was the only other available option. The bright silver of the PF01 is bearable on the SSM, but I would've preferred something like gunmetal grey, or at least a more normal, not-"bright" silver.

Incidentally, the tires are 205s and the wheel is 7" wide, so it's similar-ish to the 215s on 7.5" of the stock HR-V, in that the wheel is pretty close to the sidewall. It's just the tire has a ridge near the lip so it doesn't appear to stick out as much. On the other hand, when I look at the tire and wheel from the side, it feels like I should've gone with 225s. To borrow CalgaryHRV's words, the tire makes it looks a little convex.

Oh, the lug nuts are black because I had originally thought about trying to get dark grey or even black wheels... but I settled on the PF01s. And those only come in bright silver for that size. The wheels came with chrome versions of the lug nuts, but I figured I might as well chuck on the black ones, since I bought them.

Going back to the other wheels...

As for the lip/edges, I couldn't really tell from any of the TireRack images. I did google those wheels, but I didn't dig too deeply (lest I find myself spending $$$ sooner than I planned), so I didn't find any close up images. But as CalgaryHRV mentioned, I think it's because even though its spec'd to be 7.5" wide, that's only for where the tire sits and not lip to lip.

Speaking of TR, I did try looking at the three wheels on the image of the HR-V. If I'm honest, it feels like these are "the best I can get"... at least from TR. They look okay.

When I searched for images of the Honda wheels, I could only really find them on Civics since they're advertised as Civic accessories. If I didn't care about the weight and all that, I'd take the HFP wheels in a heartbeat. Too bad there's no variation that spirals in the opposite direction. It would've worked great with directional tires.

So what is your goal with your HRV?

Keeping it for a long time?
Is your HRV your primary vehicle or your 5th vehicle? Daily commuter or occassional driver?
Do you run winter wheels and tires in the winter?
Improving handling/performance or just make it look better?

For your 2019 Touring, the original wheels are 17 x 7.5 with +55mm offset.
The original tires are likely the Michelin Primacy 215/55R17. A lame and poor performing tire that is smooth and quiet.
These tires are a little narrow for the 7.5inch wheel and as you mentioned, don't have a rim guard.
The 7.5inch wheels are 7.5" flange to flange but actually 8.5inches lip to lip.

The 7.5inch wheels are actually too narrow for performance use and too wide for winter use.

A google search for 2019 Touring brings up:

Are these the wheels you have?
These wheels don't appeal to me at all. The 2016-2018 HRV 5 spoke wheels look better to me.
The directional fan style and the 2 tone gray are too busy. And since the wheels have no lip and are convex, they look like hubcaps.

Your Tirerack links show 17x7 wheels. I would not be going to narrower wheels at all.
I also would not be going larger diameter in wheels.

Provide a bit more info and we can carry on the discussion.. :) Much better topic than this lame virus situation...
Yes, those are exactly the wheels. I also like the 2016-2018 (& 2019 LX) wheels more than the Touring wheel. Heck, I would've been (a little) happier with the EX/EX-L wheel, which are the same actual wheel as the Touring, but with only a matte silver paint.

My goals, hum... I want it to be able to cope with my spirited driving and still feel like the Touring trim it is (ie an econo-luxury?). I do want to keep it as long as possible. My only other car is my 2010 Fit (bought in June 2010).

My original goal when buying it was to use as a comfortable transport for when I take my mother anywhere (mostly doctor's appointments), while using my Fit for pretty much everything else. And oddly enough, I used the Tanabe Sustec springs to lower it enough for her to get in/out more easily. Any performance gains were (sadly) a 3rd priority, as 2nd was keeping it as close as possible to stock in comfort. Last thing I need is to cause her back pain. They're advertised as such... but we all know it's not quite true. I've recently realized my father has now shifted into the same position as my mom in terms of what I need out of a transport (I'm in Illinois and he's normally in California). The Fit is too low and while that makes it easy for them to get in... its a little difficult for them to get out. With the Swift springs and higher PSI, the Fit is stiff and a little too much for them when comes to bumps and potholes.

My Fit has since sprung a leak in the supercharger (again), which I haven't taken the time to pull off to get rebuilt. It sprung a leak back in Jan 2018 too. So, to avoid dripping gear oil everywhere I go and risk running it dry, I've left it sitting in my driveway (gah, the rust on the brakes are annoying me!!!). Luckily, it only leaks due to pressure while running, so it won't leak just sitting. And that means my HR-V is currently my "do everything" vehicle.

If I could toss on a supercharger on the HR-V too, I wou... uh, I shouldn't. I want to, but no... mustn't.

So as far as this topic goes... I'm looking for a lighter wheel & tire combination. A tire that doesn't flex too much on turning. A tire that can absorb the stupid potholes. Something that looks nice to me but doesn't make it too "standout"ish. Or at least the best compromise I can get from them.

As with any car, keeping the tire and wheels combination light helps with MPG and whatever performance you can get out of it. I do deliveries and the MPG is already taking a hit from that (25 mpg). So, I want to avoid making it worse if I can.

The tire flexing is, to many people, more a part of performance... but for me, after having experienced the Continental EC DWS at stock pressures of 33 psi... I really don't wanna feel my car wobble or have this strange sideways sinking feeling while making a turn that snaps back as I straighten out. I run the tires at 38 psi, which feels a little better (obviously, the issue isn't gone, but it's better).

Unfortunately, that kinda works against being able to absorb potholes and ends up transferring most of the impact into the vehicle. Currently there's one pothole stuck right on a turn I can't really avoid when doing deliveries and it's driving me nuts. As such, I'm reluctant on using wheels bigger than the stock 17" in the hopes of keeping as much rubber between the wheel and ground. From there, I can hope to get a compromise on PSI for comfort (stiffness vs flexibility).

The reason I've been looking at 7" wide wheels is to avoid having to use even wider tires. This falls almost entirely on what looks good to me. Maybe I can get away with 225 not poking, but if I go with 8" wheels... I'm almost assuredly going to have that "poke," as I would need 235 tires, or wider tires, to "protect" the wheel lip along with most aftermarket wheels being much lower offset than stock. And as mentioned, I don't like "poke." Rubbing the fender lining while turning would be something to consider too (205 tires on my +43 Enkei RPF01 meant some rubbing on the Fit).

Sticking to looks, I like the spoke design of the Honda wheels more than the aftermarket wheels, especially the HFP wheels. But unfortunately, they go against everything I just mentioned. They're heavier, bigger and wider. While they have the same high offset as the stock HR-V wheels, that now means there's potential rubbing with the shocks/struts and not just the fender lining.

Going backwards in the topic a bit... I don't use dedicated summer/winter wheels.

Flatly, I'm just lazy.

Having lived in Illinois most of my life, I find it difficult just thinking about using winter tires. Obviously we do get snow, but because the areas are actively plowed and salted, the time winter tires are really needed end up being very brief. Having driven here 20+ odd years, I won't claim to be any good at handling snow, but I will say that my driving habits shift with conditions, so I'm comfortable with using all-season tires. My Fit did pretty well with stock tires, even after being lowered on Swift Springs during the February blizzard of 2011. That said, I do look for the best (compromise) I think works for me. Previously it was the Continental EC DWS and I'm now looking at the Michelin CrossClimate +/SUV.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Lol .. I thought I wrote long posts! Just kidding, you are likely on a qwerty kb and touch type as I do. :)

As I mentioned, those 2019 Touring wheels look terrible. I would clean them up, touch up any curb rash and sell them, complete with the original Michelin tires, locally. When the virus lockdown is over.
This is exactly what I did with the original wheels and tires that came with our Dodge truck and Acura TSX.
Had no trouble selling them locally and got a good price for them, which I used to buy aftermarket wheels and tires.

I would recommend 17inch aftermarket wheels. You didn't mention if your spouse or partner drives your HRV.
If you have someone else driving your HRV regularily, don't buy really nice forged aftermarket wheels.
18 inch wheels would allow you to run lower profile tires for greater performance but they would ride much rougher and much pricier. Not worth if for the HRV in my opinion.

I would recommend 17 x 7.5 or 17x8 wheels with similar offset. I don't like wheels that stick out, so maybe +45mm minimum offset to keep the tires under the fenders.
Then performance 225/55R17 tires. There are tons of performance tires in this size and they would be a square fit on 7.5 or 8.0inch wheels.
You could go to 235/60/R17 which are wider but these are really wide for even partial winter use.

225/55R17 performance tires (with a rim guard) will be wider and slightly taller than the original 215/55R17 tires.
They will handle better, still ride fine and look much better than the stock tires.
Due to the greater diameter they will affect acceleration but minimally and the aftermarket wheels will likely be lighter than the factory wheels.

What color is your HRV? Perhaps post up a picture. Black or dark wheels are great since you can wash and clean them once a year but can look really boring.
I don't recommend a chrome plated aluminum wheel unless you can absolutely keep them out of winter snow/salt.
I prefer a simple 5 spoke silver wheel which is what I have on my Mustang and our TSX.

Since you are familiar with lowering a vehicle (your lowered Honda Fit), lowering your HRV would be something to consider. Get the HRV ride height and center of gravity lower.
The HRV will never handle that great at the stock ride height, no matter what wheels and tires you put on it.
A slightly lowered HRV, even 1 inch lowered on the stock shocks, with aftermarket wheels and wider performance tires would make for a much sportier HRV plus look waaaaay better.

Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do touch type, but I'm pretty bad at it, so I'm slow. That said, this one will be short(er) since I have to run to do some shopping/restocking.

My HR-V is CBP (Crystal Black Pearl).

It is already lowered on Tanabe SUSTEC springs (a week and half after picking up the HR-V from the dealer). I like it, it looks good enough for me and is at just the right height for my folks to get in and out.

There's no other driver since I'm both single and live alone. Sure, my sister lives 10 minutes away and could borrow it, but she has three vehicles (Chrysler Town & Country, Mercedes GLK350 and BMW X3)... so yeah, I'm the only driver.

That said, I wouldn't go forged wheels... that's (usually) more $$$ than I'm willing to spend.

I'm also likely to keep the stock wheels. I kept both the stock and the Enkei RPF01, even after moving to the PF01. The main reason is I don't like to drive on the donut too long. If I get a flat, I use the donut long enough to get home, then switch out the flat plus the other side of the same axle with an older set of wheels (that still have usable tires). I would use those long enough for a new set to arrive (likely from TireRack). To be clear, I've never managed to get any tires to bald conditions as I would usually get a puncture when the treads get close to the wear bar, making it pretty much easier just to get new tires then. I actually have two stacks of older tires (16 total) in my garage that I need to deal with soon.

Hum... I found 17x8 +50 Enkei PF01 in black... but not from TR. Instead, it's from Summit Racing. I forget what it was, but I did buy something from them at one point, so I'm not particularly wary about buying from them again. I guess this could be a fallback option.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well your lowered black HRV looks really good, except the factory wheels and small tires!

Your HRV must be AWD and CVT? Perhaps create a signature with your HRV details and your location.
It would eliminate redundant questions.

Enkei wheels are an excellent choice. They are excellent quality and mostly excellent designs.

17x8, +50mm offset is excellent replacement for the original 17x7.5 +55mm.
The 17x8 +50mm, will stick out approximately 5mm for the offset difference + 6mm for the wheel width difference.
So they will stick out about 11mm, about a 1/2 inch more than the original wheels.

I prefer silver wheels and I think a simple 5 spoke silver wheel would look good on your black HRV.
However, black wheels on a black or dark vehicle is popular.

17x8 wheels with performance 225/55R17 tires would be a great combo and would make for a much better handling HRV.
The better looking wheels would look way better than the original wheels and the larger tires would fill out the wheel wells.
Way better than the wimpy stock Michelin tires. Way more aggressive than it currently looks.

Any issues aligning the lowered HRV? Front and rear camber stayed within spec?
Do you have the alignment sheet after it was lowered?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, 2019 only comes in CVT and Touring only comes with AWD. At least, for the US.

I didn't create a signature like I did on the FitFreak forum because I have it show up directly under my name:

Code:
Goobers
Registered
There's supposed to be a US flag next to registered.

In any case, I'm not sure what browser/device doesn't allow it to show up, since it shows on my desktop w/chrome and on my iPad. I might just copy paste that into a signature. I did it and it looks terrible with the "> Show Full Signature" text just for one line of text in my sig. Well, whatever. I'll leave it as is.

As for my location... while I'm not too worried about people knowing where I am, I don't particularly feel the need to put it up either.

Moving on... if I recall correctly, I had them do an alignment check when I brought it back to the dealer to have them install the accessories I got when I purchased the HR-V. I know I had them adjust the headlight because of the suspension swap (the rear dropped more than the front causing it to aim upward a little). The alignment didn't need adjusting while they aimed the headlight 0.5" down... according to the paper. My issue is, half an inch as measured where? At the headlight? 25 ft down? Hum?

I don't dislike silver wheels (as you can see from my Fit), rather it's as I said, more of I prefer that things don't contrast too much.

That said, I don't particularly feel the need to get bigger (diameter) tires. It looks fine to me. I definitely didn't like how, at stock height, the top had a bigger gap than the sides. But with it lowered, it looks nice and even. I also prefer to keep it as close to stock diameter... or rather a diameter that keeps the speedometer/odometer correct. But we'll see.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh my &7+’8;* *9$.

It never fails.

I’m gonna assume it isn’t a snapped axle that’s making the noise as I drive along. I assume that because when my axle snapped on my Fit, no power was going to the wheels, no matter how loudly the engine got.

I‘m fairly certain, though not 100%, that the noise I’m hearing is the chunk of metal sticking out of my tire. A piece I found when there was an even louder noise.

I already did a few deliveries with the metal in place. I’m giving slightly more priority to doing my deliveries, for now. But as soon as the TPMS triggers or I notice the tire going low (as I have to walk by it for every delivery), I’ll swap it out to the donut.

Anyway, back to the first two lines of this post... for some reason, anytime I consider the possibility of replacing something... something happens to it or it fails altogether.

When I felt it was showing it’s age and looked into what parts might be out there, my desktop pc died.

When the battery life in my laptop got slower and slower and I though about my options, the laptop itself refused to power on at all.

Last spring, when I was feeling an itch to buy a new car, the AC compressor died in my Fit in the middle of summer, it was followed by the clutch a week later. Which prompted me to ACTIVELY look at the HR-V, lest I not have a mode of transportation for my delivery job.

Maybe I’ll get the PF01 in black... :|

·
Registered
119 Posts
I saw mentioned you enjoy taking on ramps in a spirited manner. And you also want to minimize curbage of the rims.

I would recommend a 18x7.5 wheel with between positive 50mm to positive 48mm offset with a 245mm wide tire.

I am currently running 18x7.5 wheels with 48mm offset on 245/45-18 falken high performance all season tires and I love it (overall diameter is very close to the stock diameter on my 2019 hrv sport).

This is my third set wheels Including the oem wheels that came with the car, ive tried lower offset wheels (45mm-42mm offset) and they look good but seemed like they will rub when I lower my hrv.

From my experience 50mm offset would be the best setup for proper clearance.

I would also say go with the enkei over the oz or sparco wheels.

oz and sparco are over priced for what you get. They are usually heavier than comparable wheels from other companies and they crack/bend just like any other wheel.

I also wouldn’t worry about 18s being to big, it’s the oem size for my 2019 sport.
I also live in Sonoma county CA, my wheels and tires are doing just fine and we have the worst roads in the country no joke.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I ordered the Enkei PF01 17x8 +50 in black.

That is the smallest size I could go with that comes in black.

I didn’t want to go with 18” wheels because it was (annoyingly) stiffer when I switched my 16” RPF01 to 17” PF01 on my Fit. But there’s also the fact it’ll increase the weight, which I am avoiding if possible (biggest reason I’m not using Honda accessory wheels).

I really wanted to get 235/50/17 tires to put on it, but Michelin CrossClimate (+ or suv versions) don’t come in that size. So, when the wheels and lug nuts arrive, I think I’ll get those tires in 225/55/17 from Costco.

On a side note, I took the tire to get fixed at a tire shop, so I can use it until the new set is ready. I dislike using a patched tire, but better than riding on the donut.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am currently running 18x7.5 wheels with 48mm offset on 245/45-18 falken high performance all season tires and I love it (overall diameter is very close to the stock diameter on my 2019 hrv sport).
While 245/45R18's are nearly identical in diameter to the original 215/55R17's, they are too wide for a 7.5inch wheel.
245mm tires are about 9.6" wide. Too wide for a 7.5" wheel (8.5" lip to lip).
The tires will bulge on the wheel and will give a mushy feeling.

For optimal performance and handling, you want the sidewalls to be "square" on the wheel so the tire sidewalls are vertical.
The vertical sidewalls will support the tread and the tread will be flat on the road. So the tires are not bulging and not stretched.
The young import car guys like to stretch tires on too wide wheels but this is terrible for performance also.
The goal is to match tire and wheel width and then the correct offset for optimal performance.
Tons of folks are running around with wheels and tires that stick out too far,
mismatched tires and wheels. = terrible handling.

Back to Goobers: the 17x8 +50mm Enkei PF01 wheels in black are a great choice.
As mentioned above, they will stick out about a 1/2" more than the original wheels.

Carefully test fit one of the wheels on the HRV (front and rear) before mounting the tires.
Should be no issues, but always test fit before mounting tires because you can't return the wheels once the tires are mounted.

235/50R17 tires would likely be ok on an 8" wide wheel but then since you are running these year round, the wider 235 tires would be no fun in heavy rain, slush or snow.

Costco has great prices on name brand tires but there is not a lot of skill in their tire shops.
Similar to any box store tire shop.
I wouldn't take my car there. Just take the wheels, get them to mount and balance them.
Check all 4 carefully before you pay them.

The black wheels are not my style but great for a daily driver. No need to clean them every day.
I have silver wheels on my Mustang with aggressive brake pads. 1 trip around the block, and the wheels are dusty.
Of course, pics when you got the wheels and tires mounted on the HRV. :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, I got three of the four wheels. Four wheels, got shipped from three different locations...

I forgot to order hub rings when I ordered the wheels, so I did that afterwards, but made a mistake and thought it was a set of four ring... it was only one (for $21!). I tried to cancel it, but the seller said it might've already shipped from the distributor. I didn't realize it at the time I made the order, but the seller (3rd party on Amazon) was the same one for the wheels. I then found a set of four rings from some other online site... still expensive ($45 for the set). They're aluminum, which was what the PF01s that I bought for the Fit were. I tried finding the rings in plastic... but no dice (75 to 64.1 seems pretty rare in either material).

Honestly, I think I could do without the rings as the only purpose I can really think of is for holding the wheels on the hub instead of the studs WHILE mounting, to avoid having the wheels contacting/damaging the threads of the studs (without the lug nuts). As far as I can see, acorn/aftermarket and ball/OEM seat lug nuts automatically center the wheels around the lug nuts if you constantly hit the tires as you tighten the nuts. It would be different if it were the mag type lug nuts.

Anyway... UPS has the set of four rings scheduled to arrive tomorrow and the single ring on Tues with the 4th wheel. At least, I think it's the single ring... the order doesn't have a tracking number and the UPS app is only telling me it's a 1 lb item. Either way, I'll try to see if I can do a return on that one ring if/when it arrives.

I opened up one of the boxes for the wheels and took a look. Found the wheel with the fabric cover over the face of the wheel, valve stem(?) and a lug nut socket... no nuts though. It makes sense to not have any nuts, since there are so many different cars that can use it, while having different thread size/pitch studs. Oh, and a maintenance manual. I didn't know there was such a thing, but I guess it does require a little bit of care at least.

I'm not positive it's a valve stem or just something that looks similar since I didn't unwrap the plastic it was in. It looked kinda short compared to what I was expecting.

As for the socket, it looks like a thin walled socket. Honestly, it looks sketchy. But that's okay, I won't be able to use it anyway as I don't have any "normal" aftermarket lug nuts for the HR-V. If dig around, I might find the set that came with my RPF01s way back in 2011... but that's only 16 lug nuts, and I'd need 20. Any of the rest of the lug nuts I have are all splined. Of course, I have the stock nuts on the HR-V... but they're ball seat for OEM, not flat acorn for aftermarket. What a mis-matched mess.

I ordered another set of those black nuts... but Amazon is giving me a delivery window in May. :(

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

On side note... why the heck does Amazon list it as not compatible with the HR-V?!? M12x1.5 is the spec I can find. On top of that, when I click to search for compatible nuts from Amazon, I'm given what looks to be a different brand version of the exact same lug nuts!

Oh, I get the same thing with the wheels. Pretty much any site I go to (Amazon, TireRack or whatever) says the Enkei PF01 17x8 +50 5x114.3 in black "does not fit" the HR-V. Comparing the stat, I've found similar sized wheels that are listed as "fitment" for the HR-V. TR lists the bigger M52 18x8 +50 5x114 and smaller PF01 17x7 +48 5x114 as fitting the HR-V (I'm assuming the missing ".3" is just TR being lazy).

The only thing left that isn't specified is the spokes I guess. I wonder if for some reason the spokes are closer to the brakes... But wouldn't the 17x7 +48 still be closer than 17x8 +50 (both being PF01)? Hum, time to do that suggested test fit.

* edit: I went to do the fitment... the wheel clears the front brakes with no problems and the rear are even further from the spokes... so I don't get it.

* edit #2: here's a copy of the email I got from TR, when I mentioned it being weird that it wasn't listed as a fitment option:
I am not sure specifically why that wheel is not listed for your vehicle. When our engineering team did the laser scans of that vehicle's wheel well, including the brakes and suspension components, and the wheel itself, something about the measurements must not have worked together. Due to the large volume of products we sell, we only stock products for specific fitments that we know will work.
hum...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I hate hub centering rings also but I absolutely recommend them. Vibrations without them are common.
The aluminum hub rings are best. I've seen the plastic one's deform and that defeats the purpose.

What I do is to lightly glue the hub centering rings to the wheels using a small dab of clear silicon.
Not all wheels have clips to hold them in place.
Once the silicon is dry, they will never move, get lost and makes it easier to remove/install the wheels.
Only a small dab of silicon so you can remove them in the future.
I also very lightly grease the hubs of all the wheels so the aluminum won't corrode to the steel hub.

The conical versus ball seat lug nuts drives me nuts also but that's the way Honda's are.
If your car is not parked in a garage at home or at work, I would recommend locking lug nuts also.

The HRV bolt pattern, hub diameter and lug nuts are standard Honda.
I have OEM Acura RSX wheels on our HRV for winter using the original Honda lug nuts from our TSX.
It's all standard Honda stuff. Perhaps not many folks are buying aftermarket stuff for HRV and the manufacturer's websites are not updated.

I have test fit numerous 16" wheels on our HRV, the clearance is tightest at the front caliper brackets.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Let's see...

The set of four rings arrived today. The box was pretty large but light... I shook it and heard it rattle, so I know its the rings (being lazy to double check the shipment #).

The UPS shipment data for the other 1 lb item is voided. So, assuming it's the single hub ring, that's one item I don't have to worry about.

There's no change in the shipment of the remaining 4th wheel for now.

The lug nuts that Amazon originally had listed as arriving in May is now on its ways with a delivery date of Monday (4/20). A pleasant surprise.

-----

I guess I can see that there aren't as many aftermarket shoppers for the HR-V as something like the Civic.

It's just weird that there's a conflict in data for the few that are available. I mean, if neither the as big/bigger m52 nor smaller PF01 were offered as fitting the HR-V, it would make sense that the PF01 I wanted wasn't offered.

The email said they laser measured it and all I can think, after test fitting it myself, is... someone messed up somewhere. Either in the process of measuring, the model of the HR-V they used for virtual fitment... or maybe they just didn't measure at all but claimed to.

Meh... I got (three of) the wheels, they fit... I'll move on.

-----

Before I start the next section... I'll preface that I tried googling "squaring" tires (to see what others thought) and got things that were different. So, just to be clear to anyone else, we're not talking about matching front/rear vs staggered nor how tires flatten when sitting too long... just the actual shape of the tire from one wheel lip to the other side.

Appearance wise, I really like squaring. Mostly dislike the little bit of bulge the tire gets near the contact patch. But, putting enough PSI (in the realm of hypermillers) to square off the contact patch is something I'm not a fan of.

But as for as actual use... I guess I'm more of a fan of tires that are wider than the wheel. It more or less makes sense (appearance-wise) on vehicle that are supposed to project a "rough" or "rugged" look.

That said, I don't need it to be that much wider. I just want to feel confident that any "love taps" with the curbs will stop at the tire and not reach the wheel itself. I scuffed my RPF01 enough that I was a bit anxious with the PF01 when I got them for my Fit (same width for the wheels and tires).

As for any kind of feedback/feeling... I have found that regardless of the tire on my Fit, whether it was the stock 185/55/16, 205/50/16 or 205/45/17, they all felt less mushy when I increased it by 5 PSI over the recommended 33. I admit, it's a compromise between the feedback and actual contact patch with the changing PSI, but it seemed to work best for me. At the moment, I'm running the tires on my HR-V at 35 PSI all around vs the recommended 32 front & 30 rear.

-----

Because the wheel is 8" wide, that means if I want to move the tire wall further out from the edge of the wheel, I need to move to 235 wide tires. 225 on 8" is practically the same as the stock 215 on 7.5".

So, I'm continuing to look at the 235/50/17 size...

I looked at TireRack and the two tires I felt would work best (for me) were the Michelin CrossClimate+ and the Vredestein Quatrac Pro... but neither are offered in that size. They're offered in 235/45 or 235/55... and I don't think I want to deal with that much of a diameter difference.

The "best" tire on TR based on recommendations for 235/50 is a toss up between the Bridgestone Turanze Quiettrack and the Goodyear Assurance Weatherready. The first is slightly better in dry and much supposedly much better at comfort... but with a trade-off of winter conditions where the other is better. Then again, these two lose out to the other two.

sigh

edit
, another option is the Continental PureContact LS in 235/50/17. The biggest advantage this has is that it’s offered at a local tire shop I sometimes use. I’m worried it’ll feel like the current ExtremeContact DWS06. I liked that tire better before it became 06 version.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It sounds like the compromise of using the same tires year round in Illinois is making for some tough decisions.

If you had dedicated narrower/smaller winter tires and wheels, you could mount high performance, wider, summer tires eliminating the all season compromise.
You could purchase and mount 215/55R17 winter tires on your original wheels but they wouldn't be that great in the winter.
Going to narrower 16" wheels with narrower winter tires would be better.

Test mounting a single tire on single wheel is very common. No need to balance it for the test fit.
Then you can see how the tire fits the wheel. You can even mount the single wheel/tire on the vehicle to see how it fits and looks front and rear.

I've done this a ton of times on all our current and previous vehicles when going to larger aftermarket wheels and tires.

Nearly all performance and good quality tires (except the cheapo OEM Michelins that come on the HRV) have a built in rim guard.
With a rim guard, a properly fitted tire to a wheel (square fit, vertical sidewalls) will protect the wheel.

It does take time to find the right wheel and tire. Anyone can toss on wider wheels and tires but proper fitment is critical for performance, stance and looks.
There is a reason why some vehicles look good with wider aftermarket wheels and tires and some look goofy with ill-fitting tires and wheels.

My 1989 Mustang. I built the entire suspension around the biggest wheels and tires I could fit underneath it.
Wheel size and offset and tire size took me awhile to get it right!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just realized this as I was eating my dinner... it doesn't make up for my laziness, but part of why I can't justify dedicated winter tires is the fact that I can't really justify dedicated high performance summer tires in the first place.

Yes, I drive spiritedly... but not so spiritedly that I've ever thought I actually need dedicated summer tires, even outside of winter/snow.

I took my Fit to the track once while I was doing my road trip and while it seemed interesting... that was about it. Maybe if I had a greater leaning towards tracking more often (or a vehicle the screamed high performance), I could justify such summer tires.

My brother-in-law used to have a Corvette in Chicago, which was sold to my brother in San Diego, who eventually just sold it off :(... but if that was still around and I had access to it, then hell yeah, I'd rock dedicated tires (summer, winter and maybe even track sets). During the times I did drive it, I formed a terrible habit of kicking out the rear wheels when turning...

Anyway... moving on.

-----

I need to revise the list of tires... I forgot that I eliminated the Bridgestones because they're heavier than the other options, even heavier than stock.

I'm still trying to decide on what tire (brand and size)... hopefully I'll make that decision by the time the last wheel gets delivered... or something.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts