Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)

One of these is not like the others... it has an extra c-ring. Might just be a packing error. Hopefully the two isn’t how they’re supposed to be.

One of these is not like others...

The fourth wheel (top most) arrived today, so I’m spamming pics now.

The labels all match, though the one box that is different has the oldest date you see above. The other two are in Nov 2018.

This of the top box... the center cap was packed with the short valve stem. The box that was different had the center cap installed onto the wheel, so the stem was by itself. My guess is the bottom two boxes have the cap packed with the stem. Doesn’t really matter, so long as it’s not missing altogether.

I was going to put a pic of the lug nuts, but they’re still in the plastic bag, so not as interesting.

I’m scheduled to have tires mounted tomorrow... there will be more spamming then, probably.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Oh, the spam... :rolleyes:

Just got back from the tire shop... they charged me a disposal fee, even though there was nothing to dispose of. So not cool. :mad:

Cousins? Twins? I really should get around to swapping out that oddball silver lug nut one of these days.

Why is this one rusted?!?

First one mounted... man, so much space inside the wheel.

And all done... hum, the back seems a little gappy. Man, I'm so out of shape... too much sweat (not that the rain helped any) and my back hurts now.

Had to unwrap my Fit to get to a bunch of stuff I left in the cargo area. Couldn't open the hatch since it only unlocks electrically and the battery is long dead. One of these days, I should also get the supercharger rebuilt so I can drive it again. :confused:

More rust... ugh.

Hopefully, these last two are better pics? Seems like the back settled down a little.

A sort of before and after...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well that looks great!
Way better than the "Grandma" stock wheels and tires.

It looks like you went with the Continental all-season 235/50R17. They look good, much wider and much more aggressive than the stock tires.
They are a little wide for the 8inch wheels, slighly bulging sidewalls, but no chance of curbing a wheels with those.
I'm sure the handling and cornering is way better than before.
Perhaps take a few more pics on level ground and different angles.

It looks like you are doing something with the tailights also.
If I can make a suggestion, consider removing all the rear emblems other than the "H".
There are no locating holes for them and it would clean up the rear hatch. A little heat and fishing line to remove them.
I debadge all our vehicle including our HRV.
Makes it easier to wash and wax and no chance of rust developing at the emblem.
A nice clean, no clutter look is always my goal.

I don't know anything about Honda Fit's, other than my sisters 2010 Fit, which is not appealing at all.
Of course your Fit needs a 5 lug conversion and big aftermarket disk brakes in the rear to match the fronts!
Roots type aftermarket supercharger?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yup, ended up with the Continental PureContact LS in 235/50/17.

My desire(?) for getting as close to stock diameter outweighed my original desire for the all-weather tires. If nothing else, I'll treat this set as a test and see if they're good enough to continue with later or if I move onto the all-weather for the next set.

It feels better, but honestly, it is at the level where one could claim its a placebo. But I'll take it.

MPG might be increasing. I'm not really sure, so I think I'll need to monitor it a little bit more to see. My previous tank, just before the tire/wheel swap, gave me the most miles or mpg for a given tank since buying the HR-V, so it could be unrelated. I wonder it was a summer blend of gas...

As for the tire vs wheel width... it could be because of the rim guard of the tire, but when I first saw it, I thought it might look better if the wheel had been narrower. But the black PF01 isn't offered in a narrower size and I don't want to get wider tires, so this is good enough for me (especially since I've already bought every thing).

Speaking of rim guards... they look like they'll protect the rim very well... but this size (offset) PF01 has spokes that stick out past the rims, so now I'm worried about that. :cry: At least they don't poke past the tires. The silver ones on my Fit do poke past the tires.

I never really put much thought into the various badges. To me, they're literally like the ID badges that people in offices wear... it's just part of who they are. But then again, if I try to picture how it would look debadged, I kinda dislike the idea of debadging it. While having both the Touring and AWD badges in one spot borders being "too busy," I think debadging makes it look too plain for me. :unsure:

But yeah, I bought aftermarket full LED tail lights with working tail/brake lights on the hatch portion. It bugged me that the stock tail lights used non-LED turn signal bulbs. It's very slight, but with the turn signal/hazard lights on, I could just about notice that the back bulb comes on after the mirror and front lights. I installed the outer tail lights, but haven't gotten around to do the wiring for the inner lights, so they haven't been installed yet. It looks a little goofy when you at the entirety of the rear.

-----

I like my Fit and I don't have any major complaints, aside from hating the stupid ass overly large "frog-eyed" headlights. By similar token, I dislike the pre-face lift HR-V's headlights. I like the post face lift headlight a little, but of course, the LED of the Touring is my favorite. ;)

Coming back on target... I actually do have most of the parts for a rear disc conversion. But a complication popped up in how the parts fit together. I need to sort that out... preferably without spending even more $$$. :sick:

As for the 5-lug conversion... ugh, no thanks, already invested too much in the 4 lug parts (BBK two-piece rotors are not cheap). Until I finish the rear conversion, I can still manage using my stock or RPF01s as backup pairs for the rear if I get a puncture and need something until it's fixed or all tires are replaced. Once I finish the conversion though, none of them will fit... and that'll include the crappy donut under the cargo area. I wonder if I can find a donut that fits over the BBK and still fits in the storage space.

If I hadn't done this piecemeal and instead let a shop do all the work at once, a 5 lug-conversion probably would've worked then. Of course, I'd still need a new donut.

My supercharger is a twin screw made by Sprintex. The shop I bought it from actually stopped carrying it and said they have issues with it. :(

When I bought the supercharger, it supposedly boosted the stock 117 hp by 25 to 142... which ironically is just about where the HR-V is. If you look at Sprintex's current info page, it lists even higher boost now. I wonder if it has to do with better optimizing with the newer piggyback.

Incidentally, it doesn't have a piggy back anymore because the one that came with it, fried itself. Before that, they said I could run it with a zero map without problems, it just wouldn't be optimized for power. So when it fried, I just gave up and undid all the electrical parts of the kit.

The funny part is... removing it and swapping out the fuel pump was the only way to avoid triggering limp mode (limited to 3k rpm) when I held high RPM for about 4-5 seconds (about to pass someone, only to find someone flying up the side lane forcing me to wait in the middle of a gear change). That shit is not fun in the middle of 70 mph traffic. The DTCs when it triggers limp mode was p0300 ("general" misfire) plus a random collection of P0301 to P0304 (misfire in specific cylinder 1 to 4). I think it's pretty bad when I can fairly easily trigger limp mode on demand at that point. Even unintentionally, I triggered it 3 or 4 times over a mere 3 miles on the highway.

Before removing the piggyback, the replacement fuel pump allowed me to run high RPM marginally longer (maybe an extra 1 or 2 seconds) than I was able to with the stock pump, but not long enough when driving on the highway, as I would still unintentionally trigger limp mode at least once a day. Once the piggyback was taken out, then I stopped triggering limp mode, even intentionally. I tried testing just how long it would last, but I gave up first as it was way too long for me. o_O

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think the new look is great. The one thing that would drive me nuts with it though is having a glassy black paint on both the vehicle and rims, and then the tires are dull. I'd have to be adding some sort of wheel dressing weekly to keep the gloss look consistent.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just for reference, a pic of our debadged rear hatch on our HRV.
Note that I also blacked out the spoiler mounted 3rd brake lite.

I black out the bright red 3rd brake lite on all our vehicles also. VHT transparent paint.
It is illegal to modify any lights on the vehicle but the red lite shines thru just fine and it looks so much better.
Nice and clean, uncluttered.

If you look at the previous pic of my Mustang, no badges.

And our 2004 Dodge Ram, no badges!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Not sure if its on my end, but the Pony isn't showing... did it run away?

Going back to the HR-V... yup, just like I imagined... the debadged look doesn't seem to work for me.

I did have a passing thought about what to do about that center light once I finish swapping the tail lights and forgot about it as I didn't think there was much I could do without buying a pre-darkened version. I guess I should give the VHT transparent paint you mentioned some consideration.

I think the new look is great. The one thing that would drive me nuts with it though is having a glassy black paint on both the vehicle and rims, and then the tires are dull. I'd have to be adding some sort of wheel dressing weekly to keep the gloss look consistent.
Ah, yeah that. The tire shop said they usually apply Armor-all on the tires when its mounted, but I decided to mount them when I got home, so they're dull like that.

I had thought about buying some to spray on, but didn't really feel like going to Walgreens (next door at the time) just for that. Especially in the off chance I might already have some. I think I bought some a while ago (and used once?).

I plan on getting an actual car wash soon (not the rinse down the dealer did when I had the oil change). So, maybe that'll do it.

But that would be about it... a weekly dressing is too much for my lazy ass.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hmmm, the pic of our HRV on my last post has disappeared. And it won't let me edit my post.
The other pics posted appear fine.

Here it is again:

·
Registered
119 Posts
While 245/45R18's are nearly identical in diameter to the original 215/55R17's, they are too wide for a 7.5inch wheel.
245mm tires are about 9.6" wide. Too wide for a 7.5" wheel (8.5" lip to lip).
The tires will bulge on the wheel and will give a mushy feeling.

For optimal performance and handling, you want the sidewalls to be "square" on the wheel so the tire sidewalls are vertical.
The vertical sidewalls will support the tread and the tread will be flat on the road. So the tires are not bulging and not stretched.
The young import car guys like to stretch tires on too wide wheels but this is terrible for performance also.
The goal is to match tire and wheel width and then the correct offset for optimal performance.
Tons of folks are running around with wheels and tires that stick out too far,
mismatched tires and wheels. = terrible handling.
I really wanted 8.5 inch rims with a +45mm offset but personally I didn’t like the way the fit in the front wheel wells after testing fitting them.

Slowfosho had actually mentioned he was running 245mm tires on 7.5 inch rim with no bulge and at first I was hesitant to believe him but I tried it and it actually works well. So thumbs up to slowfosho!

245mm wide tires are the widest tires you can run on 7.5 wheel but surprisingly they do NOT bulge at all The sidewalls are pretty square.
This probably has more to do with the specific tire model in my situation but they work well for me.
No tire squirm in the corners and so far Ive pulled away from any other suv/crossover in the twisties and I have had people try pretty hard to keep up.
My only mods are wider tires and a rear sway bar.

My factory 225mm wide continental touring tires actually bulged more than my new tires on the same rims. Those continentals also squirmed like crazy in the corners, higher speed
transitions felt very sketchy.

I think it depends on the sidewalls of the wheels, my current 245mm tires are high performance tires and they come with a very square and stiff sidewall profile from the get go.

Of course a wider wheel would give less tire squirm, but honestly I don’t feel any tire squirm at all with my current tires. I can quickly transition between hard left and right turns with out that sketchy unstable feeling and I push my hrv pretty hard in the corners too..
My reasoning for the setup is the hrv has no power so I wanted the least amount of rotating weight and the most curbage protection.

Actually If you wanted true “track” capable performance you would actually want to stretch the tires a bit(by stretch I mean running the widest rim width approved for your given tire size) so your sidewalls are under more constant tension and they don’t move as much.

But as I mentioned for my hrv I wanted less rotating weight and more curbage protection on the rim and they have worked out well for me.

If I ran a 245mm touring tire on my 7.5 inch rims they would probably feel horrible but with the current tires I have they feel great.

By the way goobers nice wheels they look great!
Higher end Enkei wheels like the ones you choose are some of my favorite wheel types for sure.
Plus they will keep your hrv looking unique as no one around your area probably has those wheels on a hrv.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts