Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not a marketer, just curious. I'd like to ask anyone who's interested to post the top three reasons why they're looking for an HRV (or Soul, or Renegade, or CX3). I'm especially interested because there are so many awesome vehicles one class up - the CRV, Escape, CX5, and others. But also, why not just a small car like a Golf or the 100 other excellent small cars.

My personal answer...

1. I like sitting high (so a small CUV or small truck).
2. I like small (so CRV and others are just too big)
3. I need affordable, efficient space (50+ cubic feet storage, 30+ mpg)

Looking forward to seeing your answers.

Scott

·
Registered
19 Posts
My wife already have a CR-V so I don't need a bigger SUV. I have an Optima now that I like but I like sitting higher as I'm a tall guy and getting in and out of a car isn't optimal. Plus the opportunity to get a manual transmission seals the deal.

My daughter will be getting her license at the end of the year so the plan is to give her the Optima and I will get an HR-V. Maybe they will be available by them.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
1) I currently have a CR-V, and it's a little big for me.
2) I need space and an open back becuase I have a large dog.
3) I like the styling of the HR-V, judging by the pictures.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'm downsizing on this purchase. I got rid of my 2004 Accord EXL V6 and only need to carry myself around most of the time. I'll use this as a commuter car, and live in Colorado. So my requirements are:
Smaller than the CR-V
Good gas mileage (30+ mpg)
AWD
Preferably <$30K

We also considered going above the $30K mark. The Mercedes GLA is an awesome car, but the HR-V seems to have as much to offer, at a MUCH lower price. We didn't like the BMW offerings, or anything else above $30K as much as the GLA.

We tend to buy Hondas, so that is the benchmark. Jeep reliability sucks. Kia and Hyundai have some interesting offerings, but I expect they'll price out higher than the HR-V. RAV4 is as big as the CR-V, so Toyota is out. Nissan, well the Juke is just plain butt ugly and the ergonomics aren't as good.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would just like a small but practical car. Sitting up a bit higher from the road is nice and I think that CUV designs are more interesting than general sedans. Relatively cheap price is nice as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Retiring

After 33 years I will no longer need a practical sedan for the road (1.5 million clicks behind me).
1) want good gas mileage - also considering Prius V
2) versatility and space - fly and transport large RC helicopters ( hobby)
3) want to sit higher - we have a Rav 4 which I like - don't need 2 though
4) settled on the quality of honda and Toyota years ago for vehicles - that limits selection.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My 2006 Pontiac Vibe is going to need replacing soon. It's the perfect car for my needs, but they no longer make it and I don't like the 2nd Gen redesign of it or the Matrix. The HRV looks like the closest match. I need:
1) Cheap. It's a commuter car.
2) Reliable
3) Headroom
3) Versatility
4) Above average clearance to reach trail heads

·
Registered
632 Posts
Here's my list of wants / thoughts on why the HR-V is for me, a 32 year old single man.

1) I'd like to get a very large dog. Cargo space becomes very important, but also factored into that is the shape of the space, how flat it is, etc. Many of the small CUV's have very short, but wide and long cargo spaces (not good for a big dog). When I consider my space requirements I'm left with the Honda Fit, Subaru Forester, Mazda CX-5, Toyota Rav4, and Honda CR-V. Note, the size dog I'm talking about stands about 34" tall.

2) Being a single guy I can't get over that the Toyota Rav4 and Honda CR-V are both perceived as "soccer mom" vehicles. This is just a perception I have and I'd like to get something that doesn't have that association with it. I'd also prefer a manual transmission, which eliminates these two as well.

3) I really like the Honda Fit, but I'd prefer something with high ground clearance. I don't go "off road" but I do go "off pavement" to trail-heads, camping sites, down logging roads, etc.

4) So I'm left at this point with the Forester and CX-5 as contenders (other than the HR-V). The Forester is having oil burning issues and the cargo area has a HUGE gap between the back of the front seats and the top of the back seats when they are folded which a dog would fall in to. The CX-5 doesn't offer a manual with the big engine and the folded back seats are so far from "flat" it's a joke.

Another car I've considered is the Toyota Matrix (I'd prefer something a bit nicer and I think the HR-V will be).

At the end of the day, it seems like the HR-V has everything I want. The bonus on top of that is the likely lower price, good fuel economy, Honda reliability and safety.

·
Registered
316 Posts

My personal answer...

Scott
Ditto

Plus, I'll be retiring soon and will no longer need my CR-V

·
Registered
80 Posts
My personal answer...

1. Don't drive long distances anymore.
2. Used to have a RSX hatchback and always liked to have the extra space when necessary.
3. My wife tried driving a CRV and liked to sit up high but needs something easier to park.
4. Would like the good mpg and safety features.

We have a 2005 TL but I'm not even sure if we will keep the TL once we get the HR-V.
We have made it through the last year with only 1 car since the RSX was totaled.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I'm not a marketer, just curious. I'd like to ask anyone who's interested to post the top three reasons why they're looking for an HRV (or Soul, or Renegade, or CX3). I'm especially interested because there are so many awesome vehicles one class up - the CRV, Escape, CX5, and others. But also, why not just a small car like a Golf or the 100 other excellent small cars.

My personal answer...

Scott

My personal answer is the same as yours.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Driving 80 miles round trip to work and back I want mpg's and reliability. I don't think the HR-V is going to give me more, or not much more mpg's then my HHR is giving me 34-35 mpg. The size is right compared to the HHR. Might have to look at the Prius V also but the price is way over what I want to spend.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great thread.

1. Fuel economy
2. Ideal size (bigger than a city car, smaller than an SUV)
3. Highest option HRV is still cheaper than the cheapest CRV.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am replacing the Toyota Matrix I bought in 2004. I have never enjoyed a car so much, but Toyota changed the design and stopped making them. It's essentially a Corolla wagon, but raised up a bit. I bought it because I expected it to be reliable and economical, but kept it because I could not find anything I liked nearly as much when I was seriously car shopping in 2010 and 2013.

Most importantly, it was easy to get into and out of, and easy to put things into and take things out. I volunteer to drive elderly people to medical appointments, and they neither had to crawl down or climb up to enter. And it was easy to slide their folded up wheelchairs or walkers into or out of the back.

I liked the FIT, but it was too low and small, and the the CR-V was too big and high. The HR-V looks just right.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I am replacing the Toyota Matrix I bought in 2004. I have never enjoyed a car so much, but Toyota changed the design and stopped making them. It's essentially a Corolla wagon, but raised up a bit. I bought it because I expected it to be reliable and economical, but kept it because I could not find anything I liked nearly as much when I was seriously car shopping in 2010 and 2013.

Most importantly, it was easy to get into and out of, and easy to put things into and take things out. I volunteer to drive elderly people to medical appointments, and they neither had to crawl down or climb up to enter. And it was easy to slide their folded up wheelchairs or walkers into or out of the back.

I liked the FIT, but it was too low and small, and the the CR-V was too big and high. The HR-V looks just right.

Well put. That was the same reasoning with my Scion xB. The higher seat height was it's best selling feature for me. That , and the amazing amount of storage capacity it had considering it's small footprint.

At 225,000 miles ,I am looking for a worthy replacement.

·
Registered
615 Posts
It appears that Kia has a CUV in the works. There are some spy shots of it testing in Scandinavia. Not too much to discern from them, but its worth keeping your eyes and ears open for more information as it approaches some type of reveal.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts