Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 HRV AWD. It has only 2500 miles on it and is garaged. I rarely drive it on the highway. The past couple days I have noticed a loud grinding noise coming from under the car for about a second after leaving somewhere. It's not always the same place. I have no idea what it is and know if I take it in they won't be able to replicate it cause it so rare when it. happens. Yesterday it was in the rear. Today basically under my seat. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
580 Posts
Has it been raining over the last few days where you park the car? Do you release the Electronic Brake manually, or just drive off and let it release automatically?

There are certain occasions when the brakes will bind; after the car or wheels have been washed, when the weather is damp.

I washed my car today and when I first set of tomorrow, the brakes will initially make a grinding noise (from the front and, or rear) as I pull away. The nose will soon disappear once I have gently pressed the brake pedal a few times.

Before setting off, have a look at your brake discs, if they appear rusty or orangey, and you hear the grinding noise when you set off, that may be the cause.

It may a be worth getting someone to record you setting off on their phone so you can either post the footage on here, or you have something to show the dealership in case they can't replicate it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has been very dry here and not raining. It's not right away when it happens. Usually when I'm rolling up to the first light or going downhill. Might be 2nd gear downshifting or something. It's really odd. Doesn't happen every time but usually once a day and last only a second.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There was a recall on the HR-V CVT transmission but I don't know the years involved. My 2016 HR-V was under this group and was checked and no problem was found. Go online to research your car. If your car is listed, this can be repaired at Honda's cost. Don't panic, yet.

·
Registered
460 Posts
There was a recall on the HR-V CVT transmission but I don't know the years involved. My 2016 HR-V was under this group and was checked and no problem was found. Go online to research your car. If your car is listed, this can be repaired at Honda's cost. Don't panic, yet.
It is not a recall and doesn't show up as one. It is a service campaign. Check your VIN with a dealer.

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
262 Posts
It has been very dry here and not raining.
Take a look at your brake rotors BEFORE driving, as Hadleys Taxi said. (Post a picture)

If you see rust, that is probably the source. It is not a worry.

Cast iron rotors will corrode readily. If your area salts the roads in the winter, it is also possible that a rusty ridge is being created on the edges of the swept area.

Reactions: John35g

·
Registered
624 Posts
Take a look at your brake rotors BEFORE driving, as Hadleys Taxi said. (Post a picture)

If you see rust, that is probably the source. It is not a worry.

Cast iron rotors will corrode readily. If your area salts the roads in the winter, it is also possible that a rusty ridge is being created on the edges of the swept area.
I can see spots of surface rust on the disc face within an hour of rain sometimes as well. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can see spots of surface rust on the disc face within an hour of rain sometimes as well. Nothing to worry about.
Right. I've replaced rotors on my Element three times because of rust. The ones I have on now are rustproof ones from RockAuto - a little pricey but worth it. We get a lot of snow (salt) in the winter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My Fit was great for brakes but my Dodge Caravan eats rotors and pads because of rust. Seems like I am always having them replaced. It does sit alot and accumulates a lot of rust.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Right. I've replaced rotors on my Element three times because of rust. The ones I have on now are rustproof ones from RockAuto - a little pricey but worth it. We get a lot of snow (salt) in the winter.
Rust on the disc surface is just residual water that oxidizes to form little rust spots. those wear off almost instatly.
rust inside the disc and on the perimeter - well that is an issue but common on cars TBH.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2020 HRV AWD. It has only 2500 miles on it and is garaged. I rarely drive it on the highway. The past couple days I have noticed a loud grinding noise coming from under the car for about a second after leaving somewhere. It's not always the same place. I have no idea what it is and know if I take it in they won't be able to replicate it cause it so rare when it. happens. Yesterday it was in the rear. Today basically under my seat. Any ideas? Thanks
My guess is brake dust. This is pretty common since they quit using asbestos in brake pads. If it gets worse, then I couldn’t hurt to get your mechanic to check it out, but I think you’re ok.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you don't have access to a garage with a lift, just jack up the wheel and turn it by hand (in neutral and brake off) to see and feel anything odd. Hopefully, it's brake dust or surface rust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts