Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the Honda HR-V will the Subcompact Crossover vehicle segment by the end of the year? The current leader is the Subaru Crosstrek with 20,081 vehicles sold through the end of March. If Honda does win it will Honda 5 segment leaders, joining the Accord, Civic, Fit and Odyssey.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Segment leaders based on?

The CRV has been the best selling in its class for 10 years now and just received SUV of the year for 2015.

Will the Honda HR-V will the Subcompact Crossover vehicle segment by the end of the year? The current leader is the Subaru Crosstrek with 20,081 vehicles sold through the end of March. If Honda does win it will Honda 5 segment leaders, joining the Accord, Civic, Fit and Odyssey.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think he means based purely on sales.

I think that it is quite possible. The HRV seems to be a great vehicle from all these reviews, and the Honda badge and dealer network should ensure that it gets sold to many people.

·
Registered
290 Posts
>> Will HRV lead segment sales

Not in a million years.

I hate to sound like a skipping record, but the segment leader, by a very wide margin, will remain the Kia Soul. It moves 150,000 units a year, reliably, for five years. Honda is targeting 70,000 HRV sales.

You could argue the Soul is not in the segment because it doesn't currently have AWD. That will be resolved in three months. But even that technicality is kind of silly, because significant numbers of HRVs will be sold in the 2WD variant (especially in Southern states) - in which case, do you exclude 2WD HRV sales from the numbers?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Not in a million years.

I hate to sound like a skipping record, but the segment leader, by a very wide margin, will remain the Kia Soul. It moves 150,000 units a year, reliably, for five years. Honda is targeting 70,000 HRV sales.

You could argue the Soul is not in the segment because it doesn't currently have AWD. That will be resolved in three months. But even that technicality is kind of silly, because significant numbers of HRVs will be sold in the 2WD variant (especially in Southern states) - in which case, do you exclude 2WD HRV sales from the numbers?
Sorry, but the Soul is not considered a Subcompact SUV (small SUV), acording to GoodCarBadCar.net

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Then in that case yes!

Btw, CRV is already the sales leader in it's class...the question is whether the HRV sales will overtake CRV.

I think he means based purely on sales.

I think that it is quite possible. The HRV seems to be a great vehicle from all these reviews, and the Honda badge and dealer network should ensure that it gets sold to many people.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then in that case yes!

Btw, CRV is already the sales leader in it's class...the question is whether the HRV sales will overtake CRV.
The CR-V and HR-V are in different classes. CR-V in the compact crossover/midsize suv. The HR-V is in the subcompact crossover/small suv category.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Correct I mentioned the CRV as you did not appear to reference it in your initial message. Again it has been the best selling SUV in it's class for over 10 years now and recently was given SUV of the year.

The CR-V and HR-V are in different classes. CR-V in the compact crossover/midsize suv. The HR-V is in the subcompact crossover/small suv category.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Correct I mentioned the CRV as you did not appear to reference it in your initial message. Again it has been the best selling SUV in it's class for over 10 years now and recently was given SUV of the year.
I was simply trying to point out that the HR-V does not need to overtake the CR-v to lead its segment.

But it could end up taking away sales from the CR-V, Civic and possibly the Fit, which could hurt each of them in their respective segments.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Not in a million years.

Really? Go Kia. I haven't ever driven/ridden in a Kia. I'm still part of the old school that's skeptical of Kia/Hyundai. Totally unfounded belief but it happens with age. The Soul does seem to at least try and be aesthetically different from the rest of pack so I give it thumbs up for fostering different and getting us out of the comfort zone.

But, I think that people might gravitate towards the CX-3 because it will drive better (assumption). But, then again, the Mazda 3 is a more fun car as the Civic and Honda blows them away. So, HR-V will be the new king or queen (as I think this is a car targeted to women) of its class.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts