Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Great thread! Just read all of it. Can I ask how much you paid for your HRV? I bought mine at a Honda dealership as well (Honda certified) at the end of December and I did my research. Got a 2017 HRV EX-L for $22,300 CAD with 50,000kms on it. They wouldn't budge on the price though or maybe I didn't push hard enough. I was basically told you don't really negotiate with used car prices as consumers do their research and go to the dealerships with the lowest prices already (which is true in my case).

Also, I have a lot of nicks and scratches on mine. How hard was it to touch them up?

Thanks Richard. Not sure how my intro thread has turned into a history log for our HRV!

As I noted above, our used HRV is an undesirable barebones LX FWD that sat at the back of the Honda dealer lot for numerous months before we found it online. Much different than your EXL AWD HRV.
The low online price caught my attention and I researched HRV's before I cruised over to check it out.
It had low miles and a clean CARFAX. Kinda liked it, it was rough looking but in really good shape mechanically.
It also had a Hondacare bumper to bumper warranty purchased by the original owner.
Our other 3 vehicles are manual trans and we wanted an auto trans.
Made a low offer on the spot and they accepted. Out the door CAD$16,500/US$12,200.
I was surprised they accepted my offer. Didn't even give my wife a chance to check it out!

We weren't even shopping for a SUV/CUV at all since I don't like them at all.
We needed a winter car/ski rig, to keep our other 3 cars out of the winter snow and salt.
I am a Honda fan but only older Honda's and the only current Honda that appeals to me is the FK8 Civic Type R.
We have a modified Acura TSX 6spd MT (Honda Euro Accord) which is enthusiast car with a strong following.
2 other modified hot rods also!

As for paint scratches, wash the car by hand but no wax or polish yet. Go over the body with a fine tooth comb noting all the scratches and imperfections.
Honda parts dept for touch up paint. Patiently touch up all the chips and scratches. Leave it for few days before waxing.
If the car cleans up nicely and you plan to keep it, clear film paint protection is well worth it.

The HRV is far from a perfect vehicle but address a few issues and it's a good economy car.
Best of luck with yours!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well our used HRV has been excellent.
We have had it for 6months. 15000km/9000 miles. It now has 65000km/40000miles on it.

Far from perfect but it has been an excellent winter vehicle.
Easy to drive, excellent fuel economy, room for 3 with all our ski gear, great in the winter with the small winter tires, no major issues at all, my wife likes to drive it.

We weren't sure if we were going to keep it, but it looks like we will thanks to the virus lockdown.
Now is a terrific time to buy a new or used car. But a terrible time to sell a new or used car.

I gave it a full spring wash, oil/filter change and check out.
All is fine. The pricey clear film paint protection was well worth it. And the windshield survived all the winter driving.

The current to do list:

-Modify the poorly designed air intake and resonator.
-K&N engine air filter.
-Throttle body coolant heater bypass.
-Remove the rubber weatherstrips under the doors.
-Honda Civic engine cover
-remove passenger side exhaust resonator.
-leather steering wheel.
-stainless steel exhaust tip.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
From this thread, I have been keeping an eye out at our local autowreckers for the Civic 1.8L engine cover.

Pic from the thread:

The cover kit is about Cad$65/US$45 plus pricey shipping to Canada.
At the local Honda dealer the cover is Cad$17. Cheap but the 2 required shouldered bolts are Cad$15 each.
Not worth Cad$47 total. The Honda p/n's are in the thread.

A little research shows that this engine cover was available for 2006-2015 Honda Civics.
However in Canada, very few Civics had this cover. It took me a while at the local auto wreckers to find a cover in good shape and the 2 bolts.
Found them a few weeks ago. Cad$10 total!

It looks way better and protects the coil packs, wiring and connectors from winter road splash, sand and salt.
Totally worth Cad$10 and a bit of time...

Pic of our HRV:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
The next mod is to modify the poorly designed HRV air intake system.
Although it is a cold air intake, I can see on the Scangauge that air intake temps for the HRV are very hot.
They don't really cool down on the highway as they should.

The factory air intake system on our TSX (K24 4 cyl) was actually worse as it's actually more convoluted and a hot air intake.
Not sure what Honda is doing on air intake engineering but wasting a ton of plastic to keep the engine as quiet as possible.

There are 2 air intake resonators on the factory HRV air intake system.
The small one on top hanging off the air intake tube.
It prevents the air intake box from opening fully to inspect the air filter as it bumps into the firewall.
I removed it. A 3/4" plastic plug blocked the opening. Test drive, no change in sound.

The larger lower air intake resonator has always bugged me since I got the HRV.
It's in the way of everything in that area including the CVT trans level check plug.

That one comes out fairly easily. Remove drivers side horn, 3 push pins and the felt cover under that corner.
3 bolts and that big piece of plastic comes out the bottom.
Then I wrapped a piece of rubber over the lower opening on the upper air intake assembly, secured with a screw clamp. Reinstalled the horn.
It opens up the entire area in front of the CVT trans. Makes it so much easier to access the CVT level check plug which was helpful when I was checking the CVT fluid quality.

Pic: It's about 2 feet wide, about 16" high and about 4 inches thick.

The last mod is to bypass the throttle body coolant heater.
The purpose is keep the throttle body hot so it doesn't frost up in the cold weather.
Of course it has no use in the summer. It gets extremely hot (same as engine coolant temps), heats up the intake manifold and the incoming air.
It also has the risk of leaking coolant into the engine.

In theory, one should re-enable it in cold weather but in all my years of bypassing throttle body coolant heaters on numerous vehicles I have never had an issue in the winter.
The HRV throttle body is also at the back of the engine where it is warm anyway.

About a 10" piece of high quality 5/16" hose to bypass the throttle body.
I reused the existing spring clamps. Only lost a small amount of coolant while I quickly swapped the hose around.
Low air pressure to blow any coolant left in the throttle body, small vaccum caps over the throttle body coolant fittings.

Test drive the HRV. No change in driveability, no CEL's, no leaks, no drone or extra sounds.

A pic of the throttle body coolant bypass hose and the plug for the small upper air intake resonator:

Ideally one would want to run a smooth tube from the rectangular air inlet on the rad support to the air intake box but that is not so simple since it has to be rectangular at one end and round at the other.

It all looks stock, no one can easily notice any changes. No permanent mods, I can put it all back to original if I want to.
The throttle body is totally cool now after a drive.
And the Scangauge shows much cooler air intake temps.
I'm sure no gain in power but it just simplifies the engine bay and gets the engine running better with cooler air.

One day I will have to find a K&N air filter for the HRV. They are about CAD$75 in Canada.
Overpriced likely since no one is modding their HRV.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So we had our 1st real failure on the HRV!

One evening a few weeks ago, the HRV alarm went off in the driveway.
I go out and the primary remote won't disarm it. I get the 2nd remote and it disarms it.
The 1st remote wont work. LED comes on and stays on when any button is pushed.
Occasionally you can hear the doors lock/unlock when you push a button on it.
Our HRV is a bare bones LX with the mechanical key and integrated remote.

The 2nd remote works totally works fine, so the remote module in the HRV is likely fine.
Next day, I pick up a new battery for the failing remote.
Old battery is 3.1V, new battery 3.2V. New battery does not resolve the issue.

When we bought our HRV used about 6 months ago, it came with an extended Hondacare warranty from the previous owner.
The dealer had tried to charge us to transfer it to us but I refused and then he tossed it in anyways.
I called up the Honda dealer. The service adviser looked up the VIN, hemmed and hawed, put me on hold... etc
and finally said it was covered.

Since the 2nd remote works fine and the 1st remote/key still starts the HRV. If it wasn't covered I was not going to replace it.
I take it to the Honda dealer, a tech comes out and checks out the failing remote and declares it dead.
A couple hours later we pick up the HRV, new remote works fine. Excellent service.

I haven't taken any of our vehicles to a dealer or mechanic shop in 10 or more years.
I fix it all myself and don't trust any dealers but this went totally fine.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts