Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a set of winter tires and wheel from TireRack for my '08 Honda Civic. The bolt pattern appears to be the same from what I've read (5x114) online, but any thoughts on the whole package size? The tires are 205/60R-15 Blizzaks. The fit people at TireRack don't have enough info on the HR-V to know if it works but they said they would shortly. Might there be clearance issues with the brakes as a main concern? Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i just checked on our EX-L. so 15" i think SHOULD work--its going to depend on the wheel barrel thickness. looking at the current rims, there looks to be just under 1" of clearance from the caliper to the OEM 17" inner barrel, which looks to be thick. so going have to just try it on for clearance.

also 205 is a good width to run probably, but 60 on a 15" rim is too small of a diameter to put on the HR-V i think. you're speedo is going to be off and if anything you should get a larger diameter tire to use in the winter for more clearance.

i'd be curious to know if people have been able to fit 15" as well, as i wouldn't mind running 15" winters as opposed to 16".

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just try it on the front to see if it clears the brake caliper.(front has larger disk/caliper) And check the offset by turning wheel all the way left/right

·
Registered
147 Posts
215/60r16 is actually shorter than OEM tire height, which is undesirable in winter weather.
205/65r16 or 225/60r16 would be better, depending on if your winters are more ice or deep snow.
Yes when I calculated it on a spreadsheet - there is a noticeable difference but from the manufacturers specs. it far less.

Michelin Primacy MXV4 215/55r17 - diameter: 668 mm / 26.3"

Michelin X-Ice Xi3 215/60r16 - diamter: 664 mm / 26.1"

So there was a basis for their recommendation.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
215/60r16 is actually shorter than OEM tire height, which is undesirable in winter weather.
205/65r16 or 225/60r16 would be better, depending on if your winters are more ice or deep snow.
Yes when I calculated it on a spreadsheet - there is a noticeable difference but from the manufacturers specs. it far less.

Michelin Primacy MXV4 215/55r17 - diameter: 668 mm / 26.3"

Michelin X-Ice Xi3 215/60r16 - diamter: 664 mm / 26.1"

So there was a basis for their recommendation.
If you go to the tire rack, they recommend for the 2016 HR-V winter tires to use 215/60R16.
there is a whole page describing
"...if you're likely to drive through deep snow this year, you'll want winter / snow tires and wheels in sizes that help put the laws of physics on your side."
So I think their recommendation was right.

Tire size variance
0.58% 215/60R16
0.69% 205/65R16
1.12% 225/60R16

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=126

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you go to the tire rack, they recommend for the 2016 HR-V winter tires to use 215/60R16.
there is a whole page describing
"...if you're likely to drive through deep snow this year, you'll want winter / snow tires and wheels in sizes that help put the laws of physics on your side."
So I think their recommendation was right.

Tire size variance
-0.58% 215/60R16
+0.69% 205/65R16
+1.12% 225/60R16

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=126
Laws of physics... such as more ground clearance is better in deep snow... unless you like getting high centered, which is the only way I've gotten stuck in the snow in over a decade. But hey, what do I know.
I did take the liberty of adding to your tire size variances.
If you want less ground clearance for summer tires, that's fine, but less ground clearance for winter tires has yet to present itself in an quantifiably positive scenario to me.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Laws of physics... such as more ground clearance is better in deep snow... unless you like getting high centered, which is the only way I've gotten stuck in the snow in over a decade. But hey, what do I know.
I did take the liberty of adding to your tire size variances.
If you want less ground clearance for summer tires, that's fine, but less ground clearance for winter tires has yet to present itself in an quantifiably positive scenario to me.
I don't pretend to be a tire expert, so I trust these guys with their recommendation.
I did study physics and automotive engineering in University.

There are 2 benefits I see with a smaller tire.

With tires the goal is to try and keep the rubber in contact with the pavement.

1. Just like snowshoes, the larger the snowshoe, the easier it is to stay on top of the snow. Therefore a smaller tire will more likely no hydroplane (for lack of a better work) on top of the snow, and leave you with contact with the road.

2. The angle of the tire to the snow would change the tendency for it to ride up as opposed to cut through. The larger the circumference, the less steep the angle. So the smaller circumference would more easily cut through.

I really don't want to research this to much, and I"ld rather depend on recommendations of experts.

·
Registered
805 Posts
A narrower and higher tire is better in snow. at least thats what works better in Canadian snow :)
Ayuh, back in my day, tall, narrow wheels/tires on a 3 cylinder, 2-stroke, ring-a-ding-ding SAAB worked best in the snow. The RWD, VW Beatles were good, but the FWD, 3-speed, column shift SAABs were better.
But then again, it might have been Canadian snow that had drifted over our way ;)

P.S. IMHO, AWD adds only 5-10% to FWD in the snow. (Just don't ask me what metric I'm using.)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Will I need to purchase different lugnuts for these 42700-T0A-A01 rims,

or will the lugnuts that the HRV EX AWD comes with be OK?

thanks, mpmn04
Hello mpmn04,

The tire size should read 215/60R16. I haven't gotten the wheels and tires yet as I live on the west coast of Canada and it's still quite warm & it really doesn't snow here. I will go in this month soon to order the wheels and Michelin X-ice 3. When they mount the new winter tires, if they hand me back a bag of original lug nuts to store with my wheels - I'll post it here.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Hello mpmn04,

The tire size should read 215/60R16. I haven't gotten the wheels and tires yet as I live on the west coast of Canada and it's still quite warm & it really doesn't snow here. I will go in this month soon to order the wheels and Michelin X-ice 3. When they mount the new winter tires, if they hand me back a bag of original lug nuts to store with my wheels - I'll post it here.
I was originally getting winter steelies, but have decided to go with winter alloys.

My last pair of steelies have gotten so rusted, they look awful.

Checked out these at Canadian tire
http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/whe...4P/ctx-replica-hyogo-wheel-in-silver/1419734/

Listed for $130

After being shown the better price in Montreal
http://www.emwholesaleautoaccessories.ca/SearchResults.asp?Search=hyogo&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

Listed for 102.99, Canadian tire is price matching.
So for light weight alloy, that will last longer, are more fuel efficient, and look better.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Just a note for Canadian buyers of the Michelin brand.
i was just checking on my rims, and I noticed the Michelin promotion is on now.
Fall 2015 Promotion

$70 MAIL-IN REBATE
WHEN YOU BUY 4 MICHELIN® TIRES
(between October 5 and December 15, 2015)
http://www.michelin.ca/promotions.page

I checked my receipt from the Canadian Tire sale, and I bought them on Oct 5th!
Some days lucks on your side, saved $130 on the tire sale, now getting $70 back!

·
Registered
47 Posts
ddemetra,
I didn't know about the sale at CT, if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for your Michelin on steelies including installation and tax ?
I just ordered 4 Michelin X ice3 on steel rims from a local tire shop, $840 out the door, installed. - $70 rebate =$770 CDN

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
ddemetra,
I didn't know about the sale at CT, if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for your Michelin on steelies including installation and tax ?
I just ordered 4 Michelin X ice3 on steel rims from a local tire shop, $840 out the door, installed. - $70 rebate =$770 CDN
That sounds like a good deal.
I"m still ordering my Winter alloy rims, so I can't compare final installed cost.
The X-Ice were 139 each on sale for $556, less $70 discount = $486
Add in tax, rims, install, and it's pretty close.
Good to support your local tire shop, mine were priced too high.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts