·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth to wait for 2017 HRV?

Current 2016 model is great but it is missing 2 important upgrades to me:

1)1.5 turbo engine
2) new info system such as Android Auto

Honda in Japan just released Jade RS which uses 1.5 turbo and gets 148 HP which is 7 HP up from the current 1.8 engine that HRV is equipped; 7 HP doesn't sound a lot but would definitely help with highway passing. The beauty of the new engine is that it is 10~15% more fuel efficient than current 1.8 engine. Honda Civic 2016 is going to use the 1.5 turbo, to me it makes logical sense that HRV will also switch to the 1.5 turbo next year.

Unless you are using iphone which can connect to HDMI port of HRV to get most out of the phone functions, otherwise you only get audio & text but no map navigation if you are using an Android phone. Google is working with most automakers to push Android Auto into cars. Would HRV be upgraded to the new info system next year? If it did, I would skip EX-L trim and get an EX trim and be able to use phone navigation since I am not interested in forward collision warning or lane departure or roof rack that EX-L has; and I save $2500~$3000.

Please share your thoughts on these.
>:D

·
Registered
547 Posts
Both are important upgrades for me as well though I _might_ have to spring for the 2016 as my car is getting on in years.

Honda is building an engine factory in Anna, Ohio. I don't know if this will supply Jade RS engines to Celaya if that engine is designated for the Fit.
7 more horsepower sounds like a negligible upgrade, but if it boosts MPG I'll take it.

Android Auto and Apple Car Play are both "promised" for future Hondas though I don't know how they will be allocated and, of course, when.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thing to consider about Turbo engines is that your extra power to pass on the highway ends up gobbling through fuel at a faster rate then a more mundane natural I4. Turbocharging is great for touting efficiency figures, but in reality unless you're hypermilling Turbos are less efficient for the most part...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Both are important upgrades for me as well though I _might_ have to spring for the 2016 as my car is getting on in years.

Honda is building an engine factory in Anna, Ohio. I don't know if this will supply Jade RS engines to Celaya if that engine is designated for the Fit.
7 more horsepower sounds like a negligible upgrade, but if it boosts MPG I'll take it.

Android Auto and Apple Car Play are both "promised" for future Hondas though I don't know how they will be allocated and, of course, when.
You only get 7 extra ponies, but torque is 150 on the 1.5T, so that's around 25 more lb-ft than the HR-V now.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You only get 7 extra ponies, but torque is 150 on the 1.5T, so that's around 25 more lb-ft than the HR-V now.
And its torque, no so much horsepower that the HRV sorely needs. Its current rating of127 is woeful in itself , but doesn't arrive until 4300rpm. Add this to the rubber band like response of the CVT and its no wonder the engine would often sound strained under acceleration even if relaxed at cruise. I would expect the turbo to have a drastic positive affect on the driving experience.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Well HI and welcome to the forum...interesting first post. ;)

1)1.5 turbo engine

Honda in Japan just released Jade RS which uses 1.5 turbo and gets 148 HP which is 7 HP up from the current 1.8 engine that HRV is equipped; 7 HP doesn't sound a lot but would definitely help with highway passing. The beauty of the new engine is that it is 10~15% more fuel efficient than current 1.8 engine. Honda Civic 2016 is going to use the 1.5 turbo, to me it makes logical sense that HRV will also switch to the 1.5 turbo next year.

Unless you are using iphone which can connect to HDMI port of HRV to get most out of the phone functions, otherwise you only get audio & text but no map navigation if you are using an Android phone. Google is working with most automakers to push Android Auto into cars. Would HRV be upgraded to the new info system next year? If it did, I would skip EX-L trim and get an EX trim and be able to use phone navigation since I am not interested in forward collision warning or lane departure or roof rack that EX-L has; and I save $2500~$3000.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Perhaps you didn't notice, but the HRV just came out last weekend. That may explain the sudden rise in forum membership.

RIP Bice and Scoot. Gone, but not forgotten.
R.I.P.
It's a bit of a letdown that many of the longtime embers of the board have decided the HR-V is not for them.

Back to the subject:

It's going to be an interesting to see how quickly Honda responds to the one big professional criticism off the HR-V, i.e., the moderate power train of the CVT.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Nothing really to respond to...the CRV has been called the same for years now...its the right kind of engine for the class with balance on cost and fuel economy. ;)

Onward and upward....

R.I.P.
It's a bit of a letdown that many of the longtime embers of the board have decided the HR-V is not for them.

Back to the subject:

It's going to be an interesting to see how quickly Honda responds to the one big professional criticism off the HR-V, i.e., the moderate power train of the CVT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just my personal opinion, but I don't think the HRV will see a new engine until at least the mid model re-fresh which will be the 2019 HRV. I don't think it would make financial sense to Honda to change the production line after only one model year.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just my personal opinion, but I don't think the HRV will see a new engine until at least the mid model re-fresh which will be the 2019 HRV. I don't think it would make financial sense to Honda to change the production line after only one model year.
You may be right. I'm thinking the only reason it was introduced with the old tech engine, is they do not yet have sufficient production capacity to cover the need for a new engine in all product lines. Better to get it to Civic first as they are beginning to fall behind the other makers most of whom have direct injection motors, some with turbos.

They probably thought, rightfully I think, that the HRV would be such a strong draw folks would go for it even it the engine was not up to the latest standards for power and fuel economy.

As soon as they can produce enough of the new motors, the HRV will be upgraded. If not for 2017, possibly a midyear production change over for that model.

Or maybe just added as an extra cost option.
IMO The current engine is already obsolete and can't possibly be competitive for more than a couple of years.

Not all of the above is my original thinking, I think I saw some of it already posted by others, but sounds right to me.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Keep in mind people have asked for a more powerful engine in the CRV for over a decade so don't look for Honda to change a winning formula anytime soon.

Wait for the 2017 if you like or more important, it doesn't sound like the HRV is the right vehicle for you. Therefore, I would may suggestion looking at something else?

1)1.5 turbo engine

·
Registered
402 Posts
Can't speak for Mike but his thinking maybe somewhat like mine.
I have not yet found the perfect vehicle for me, but HRV is near perfect in overall size and accommodation . Just wishing for a few important changes to meet my specific wants.

In the meantime something else may come along. (Acura version?) Just hanging loose for now, no deadlines.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Keep in mind people have asked for a more powerful engine in the CRV for over a decade so don't look for Honda to change a winning formula anytime soon.

Wait for the 2017 if you like or more important, it doesn't sound like the HRV is the right vehicle for you. Therefore, I would may suggestion looking at something else?
I don't mind the engine and even prefer to have something proven rather than something improved but unproven. However, I can understand the criticism. I think it has ample power for its intended use, but when you compare HRV fuel economy to CRV fuel economy it's pretty obvious that there's room for improvement in the HRV.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Accord, Fit, CRV, and soon Civic have recently all been upgraded with modern direct injection engines, resulting in a leap forward in both power and efficiency.
HRV?

I'm not buying the "proven engine" line. The Koreans , Mazda, and others have shown new engines can be brought on line without a loss in reliability, or even with an improvement in it. If Honda has to debug their motors after introduction, that's another problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
And its torque, no so much horsepower that the HRV sorely needs. Its current rating of127 is woeful in itself , but doesn't arrive until 4300rpm. Add this to the rubber band like response of the CVT and its no wonder the engine would often sound strained under acceleration even if relaxed at cruise. I would expect the turbo to have a drastic positive affect on the driving experience.
That's why we love diesel so much in Europe, 221 ft lbs at 2000 rpm from the 1.6

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.