Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HRV just passed 2000 miles last week, so I had an oil change using Mobil1 0W-20 for better engine protection.

Since then, 4 days, I have been noticing a marked improvement in gas mileage.

For example for my commute today:
- Home To Work (approx 20 miles) of combination of mostly level back roads with minor up-and-down hills (about 15 miles @ 40mph +/-) and city driving (about 5 miles)
- Work To Home (approx 25 miles) of combination single lane roads (about 15 miles @ 40 mph) and highway driving (10 miles @ 60 mph)

My average gas mileage was just over 41 mpg. WOW...
This used to be an average of 37~38 mpg for the exact same commute...
Better protection & better gas mileage: Well worth the money.

Attachments

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
which filter are you using and where are you getting it from?
I used the one from the local Honda dealer: 15400-PLM-A02 just because I did not have the better filter 15400-PLM-A01 which I ordered Friday from College Hill Honda, and is on its way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The 01 oil filter is hard to find and I think discontinued. Most dealers will give you the 02 filter.. Hope you get the better filter. I also just replaced the break in oil with mobil1 at 2300 miles. And engine seems quieter than before.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 01 oil filter is hard to find and I think discontinued. Most dealers will give you the 02 filter.. Hope you get the better filter. I also just replaced the break in oil with mobil1 at 2300 miles. And engine seems quieter than before.
The web site specifically mentions the Filtech (AKA 01) filter:
"The most sought after Honda filter! Filtech Honda filter with drain plug washer included."

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/15400-PLM-A01_94109-14000.html

I guess I will find out in a few days when I actually receive the filters.

Actually I bought a set of 6 pack filters and the Honda Oil Filter Wrench Combination

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/6PACK.html

·
Super Moderator
1,799 Posts
They are still making the 01 Filtechs. My dealer has both version.

·
Super Moderator
1,799 Posts
My HRV just passed 2000 miles last week, so I had an oil change using Mobil1 0W-20 for better engine protection.

- Home To Work (approx 20 miles) of combination of mostly level back roads with minor up-and-down hills (about 15 miles @ 40mph +/-) and city driving (about 5 miles)
- Work To Home (approx 25 miles) of combination single lane roads (about 15 miles @ 40 mph) and highway driving (10 miles @ 60 mph)

Run a few more tanks to average things out.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Run a few more tanks to average things out.
I will. But my point is that comparing apples to apples, a commute that used to have ~37mpg now is 41+mpg.
I checked today's commute again and here is a snapshot almost at the end of the morning commute (about 1/4 mile from destination of a 20 miles trip). 42+mpg....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
738 Posts
At least in the future as Honda works on using hybrid and EV tech on a more mainstream level we should expect to see it in HRV AWD... maybe in the form of a FWD system with electric RWD motors.

·
Registered
389 Posts

I'm still wondering why we are changing the oil on a new Honda @ 2000 miles? We left the factory fill (or break in oil, as you call it), in our Daughters new 2015 Fit for just over 7000 miles (15% oil life left). The only reason we changed it then was because she was home from school, and I did not know when she would be back. We went with full synthetic on the oil change. You don't plan on changing your oil every 2000 miles, do you?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I second what Vanguard said. older cars needed it every 3000, then 5000, and now, depending how you drive, you can go up to 10,000.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm still wondering why we are changing the oil on a new Honda @ 2000 miles? We left the factory fill (or break in oil, as you call it), in our Daughters new 2015 Fit for just over 7000 miles (15% oil life left). The only reason we changed it then was because she was home from school, and I did not know when she would be back. We went with full synthetic on the oil change. You don't plan on changing your oil every 2000 miles, do you?
No, I do not plan on changing the Mobil 1 oil every 2000 miles, may be 5000 or 6000 miles which equates to twice a year. I changed the oil at the first 2000 miles to provide enough time for the engine break-in and to switch from the factory semi-synthetic to full synthetic Mobil 1. Well wort the $26 I paid for 5 quarts at Walmart (and I only used 4 quarts). That comes out to $20.80 for 4 quarts...

Based on the differences I am getting in mpg, it is obvious that the Mobil 1 is superior compared to the factory oil. I suspect far less friction and better lubrication including cold start.

·
Registered
484 Posts
No, I do not plan on changing the Mobil 1 oil every 2000 miles, may be 5000 or 6000 miles which equates to twice a year. I changed the oil at the first 2000 miles to provide enough time for the engine break-in and to switch from the factory semi-synthetic to full synthetic Mobil 1. Well wort the $26 I paid for 5 quarts at Walmart (and I only used 4 quarts). That comes out to $20.80 for 4 quarts...

Based on the differences I am getting in mpg, it is obvious that the Mobil 1 is superior compared to the factory oil. I suspect far less friction and better lubrication including cold start.
I believe I have read that the factory oil has something in it...so it should be left in as long as recommended. Then...I might well consider the Mobil 1.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I second what Vanguard said. older cars needed it every 3000, then 5000, and now, depending how you drive, you can go up to 10,000.
May be so, but for $21 every 5 or 6 months is a very good investment in my opinion. If that provides an additional 1 year of engine life, WELL worth the $$$

·
Registered
54 Posts
Factory oil helps the new parts wear in like the camshaft and crankshaft and helps the piston rings seat. After a few thousand miles they will be worn in. New engines have lots of sharp machined edges on parts that break off and end up in the oil filter. Also new engines have a assembly lube put on parts and that ends up mixing with the oil. If you cut your first oil filter apart you will see lots of little metal filings. I always change my factory oil/filter on new engines after break in which only takes about 500 miles.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If your engine is not broken in by 2000 miles it never will..........

I'm getting my oil changed within the next week.........I have 2500 miles, going full synthetic.
The OEM is a blend.

·
Super Moderator
1,799 Posts
My last two new cars, I had the oil changed to synthetic about 5K miles. This time I'll change at 10K since it's semi synthetic.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts