Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
At least in the future as Honda works on using hybrid and EV tech on a more mainstream level we should expect to see it in HRV AWD... maybe in the form of a FWD system with electric RWD motors.
There is already a hybrid version sold in Japan.

·
Registered
738 Posts
There is already a hybrid version sold in Japan.
Not surprised, when it comes to Honda or just about any Japanese brand, its home market is always the first to get the best of the best.

This was even more true back in the 90's.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm still wondering why we are changing the oil on a new Honda @ 2000 miles? We left the factory fill (or break in oil, as you call it), in our Daughters new 2015 Fit for just over 7000 miles (15% oil life left). The only reason we changed it then was because she was home from school, and I did not know when she would be back. We went with full synthetic on the oil change. You don't plan on changing your oil every 2000 miles, do you?
It has been my experience that the subject of both oil brand, type, weight, and change frequency is a never ending discussion, with some good advice and some not so good advice. The best forum I have ever found on the subject is here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/home/

In particular, read the posts by Bbobynski. He is/was a GM engine designer.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
...The best forum I have ever found on the subject is here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/home/

In particular, read the posts by Bbobynski. He is/was a GM engine designer.
It's a classic resource for lubrication information. I just dropped in, and stumbled on this gem, which I suspect was posted with tongue very firmly in cheek:

Quote:
That’s because a phone drawing electricity from a USB port cuts 0.03 miles from each gallon of gasoline in a tank. Across the fleet of vehicles in the U.S., that would mean about 970,000 tons of extra planet-warming carbon dioxide a year...

Even though the original story comes from a "reputable source" (Bloomberg) I remain extremely skeptical. If charging a cell phone has that big an effect, daylight running lights would be even more. Reading down, I would call the headline misleading, at best. It should be Using a Smartphone While Driving Isn't as Free as You Think.

Charging isn't the problem, using a phone as an internet hot spot is:

Quote:
To make his calculation, Bereisa assumed that a typical smartphone connected to WiFi or the Internet needs about 4.8 watts of energy to charge in a car. (Delphi estimates that some less-efficient models draw twice that amount.)

Since I have a $15 dumb flip phone, which will run for 10 days on a charge, this news isn't going to change my driving habits at all.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
cotonHRV,

The max I get is 31mpg, and I drive like a grandma. What type of fuel do you use? I use 87.
I use 87, but try to fill up from a "brand name" gas station.
In the past 2+ months (especially very lately) I have been averaging 34+/- mpg. Most likely due to the cold weather and the winter blend gasoline....:(
Can't wait for the warmer weather....

·
Registered
11 Posts
My HRV just passed 2000 miles last week, so I had an oil change using Mobil1 0W-20 for better engine protection.

Since then, 4 days, I have been noticing a marked improvement in gas mileage.

For example for my commute today:
- Home To Work (approx 20 miles) of combination of mostly level back roads with minor up-and-down hills (about 15 miles @ 40mph +/-) and city driving (about 5 miles)
- Work To Home (approx 25 miles) of combination single lane roads (about 15 miles @ 40 mph) and highway driving (10 miles @ 60 mph)

My average gas mileage was just over 41 mpg. WOW...
This used to be an average of 37~38 mpg for the exact same commute...
Better protection & better gas mileage: Well worth the money.
When they changed your oil, did they happen to check the tire pressures and inflate your tires (perhaps over inflate them?)...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm still wondering why we are changing the oil on a new Honda @ 2000 miles? We left the factory fill (or break in oil, as you call it), in our Daughters new 2015 Fit for just over 7000 miles (15% oil life left). The only reason we changed it then was because she was home from school, and I did not know when she would be back. We went with full synthetic on the oil change. You don't plan on changing your oil every 2000 miles, do you?
Engine contamination; metal particles, normal microscopic sheering of new parts.... An oil early at 2000 miles should clean most of this out. Filter can possibly have premature lower flow because of the small contaminants left over from new car

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Admittedly I don't go far back and forth to work. It's about an 8 mile commute. My lifetime MPG is 29.6 at 9,600 miles. I have taken several trips back and forth to my parents house (125 miles away) so not all of my trips are short.
I get better mileage on longer drives (say 20 miles), such that a good portion of the drive is with a warmed up engine. I do not get very good mileage on short trips when the the car engine is cold.
So may be as an experiment during your 8 miles commute, drive for 4 miles, note the mpg, shut the engine, restart the car, drive the remaining 4 miles and note the new mpg. Chances are, if you are driving reasonably (like a grandma :)) your 2nd half mpg will be very good and much better that the 1st half.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I found a pretty good deal on Honda Filtech filters with washers.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/112054674827

Amazon and Walmart have 5qts Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20 for $22.88. Also, Mobil1 has a $12 rebate which brings the price down to $10.88 for 5qts.
http://slickdeals.net/f/8979959-12-...obil-1-synthetic-motor-oil-limit-2-per-person
Thanks for the tip. I just bought 5qts from Amazon and submitted for the rebate. At $11 each, that is a great deal.
I will buy another 5qts and will submit for the rebate tomorrow since there is a limit of 2 per household.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The HRV mpg keeps on impressing me. Today I got 44 mpg going to work and 42 mpg coming from work. A 20 miles commute each way. I am VERY VERY pleased. :D
Here is a picture (not very sharp) taken about 200 feet from my home tonight.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 67 Posts