Honda HR-V Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
The HRV mpg keeps on impressing me. Today I got 44 mpg going to work and 42 mpg coming from work. A 20 miles commute each way. I am VERY VERY pleased. :D
Here is a picture (not very sharp) taken about 200 feet from my home tonight.
Just a clarification which might explain the better than usual mpg.
The commute to work followed a short trip to/from the supermarket. So I started the work commute with a warm engine.
Also the home commute was a couple of hours later, again a warm engine.

Still, even with a warm engine case, I am still impressed.:)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Amazon and Walmart are not listed on the Mobil website as "approved" vendors for the rebate.
Did you have any problem getting the rebate with your Amazon purchase?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Amazon and Walmart are not listed on the Mobil website as "approved" vendors for the rebate.
Did you have any problem getting the rebate with your Amazon purchase?
No problem. The rebates, from both Walmart and Amazon, were accepted. But I have not received the actual rebates yet. According to the application, this can take up to a few weeks.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Just a clarification which might explain the better than usual mpg.
The commute to work followed a short trip to/from the supermarket. So I started the work commute with a warm engine.
Also the home commute was a couple of hours later, again a warm engine.

Still, even with a warm engine case, I am still impressed.:)
Whoa! I'm impressed!

I thought this was surely psychological ... and it may still be ... but at 4.5K, 0-20 Mobil-1 and tire rotation ... like taking the fan belt off your air-cooled VW!

Maybe it was the tire rotation ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I just bought 5qts from Amazon and submitted for the rebate. At $11 each, that is a great deal.
I will buy another 5qts and will submit for the rebate tomorrow since there is a limit of 2 per household.
Mobil 1 you will find the motor runs noisey,that tells you how its doing its job-- not very good,when you change to vavoline or amsoil it runs smooth with no noise,but thats your call what you use

·
Registered
100 Posts
Factory oil helps the new parts wear in like the camshaft and crankshaft and helps the piston rings seat. After a few thousand miles they will be worn in. New engines have lots of sharp machined edges on parts that break off and end up in the oil filter. Also new engines have a assembly lube put on parts and that ends up mixing with the oil. If you cut your first oil filter apart you will see lots of little metal filings. I always change my factory oil/filter on new engines after break in which only takes about 500 miles.
What's the improvement a noisey motor LOL,to many get brain washed with using mobil1 oil

·
Registered
118 Posts
That Mobil 1 oil is “energy conserving” so the oil is definitely helping get those mpg up.

energy Conserving oils are thinner than other oils in their class, which is where the mpg gains come from.

Those who said Mobil one makes your engine louder Than other oils are probably right. It is thinner so there is less “cushion”.

For a normal daily driven car I doubt you would be able to see a difference in engine wear as the engine will be seeing fairly low rpm and engine temps. So these oils are good to go for a daily driver.
but I wouldn’t run them in a car I beat on a lot.

As others already mentioned a motor is fully broken in after 2000 miles.... many many manufacturers state you should change your oil after 2000 miles.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It is the same viscosity, 0W-20. It will not make the engine any nosier or improve mileage.
There can be a varying thickness range within a viscosity Grade.

Castrol gtx/pennzoil high mileage oils are the thickest 0w-20 oils on the market, the mobil 1 oil the OP is using is the one of the thinnest 0w-20 available.

so yes using a “thinner” 0w-20 could increase fuel economy and engine noise/wear. Obviously other factors like the additive package in the oils affect wear too.

Oils with an energy conserving label achieve this by making the oils on the thinner end of the spectrum for a given viscosity rating.

High mileage oils are the opposite and are on the thicker end of the spectrum for a given viscosity rating to compensate for wear and growing tolerances and oil burning. High mileage oils also have additives that swell up the seals.

I’m not trying to be rude anything btw

·
Registered
214 Posts
There can be a varying thickness range within a viscosity Grade.

Castrol gtx/pennzoil high mileage oils are the thickest 0w-20 oils on the market, the mobil 1 oil the OP is using is the one of the thinnest 0w-20 available.

so yes using a “thinner” 0w-20 could increase fuel economy and engine noise/wear. Obviously other factors like the additive package in the oils affect wear too.

Oils with an energy conserving label achieve this by making the oils on the thinner end of the spectrum for a given viscosity rating.

High mileage oils are the opposite and are on the thicker end of the spectrum for a given viscosity rating to compensate for wear and growing tolerances and oil burning. High mileage oils also have additives that swell up the seals.

I’m not trying to be rude anything btw
The grade of oil (e.g., 0W-20) is a measure of the viscosity index which is the same as thickness. The 2 numbers for multi-grade oil indicate that the viscosity (thickness) changes with temperature. The W stands for winter indicating that the oil is suitable for a winter (cold) application. There is no variation of thickness within a single viscosity grade at any given temperature since the viscosity index is by definition a measure of the thickness.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ther
The grade of oil (e.g., 0W-20) is a measure of the viscosity index which is the same as thickness. The 2 numbers for multi-grade oil indicate that the viscosity (thickness) changes with temperature. The W stands for winter indicating that the oil is suitable for a winter (cold) application. There is no variation of thickness within a single viscosity grade at any given temperature since the viscosity index is by definition a measure of the thickness.
There are other factors that determine oil thickness.

HTHS is one of the main ones.

HTHS measures the viscosity (resistance to flow) of an engine lubricant at elevated temperatures (150°C) under constant shear, simulating the narrow tolerances and high speeds between moving parts in a hot engine. The lower the measured torque, the lower the HTHS viscosity of the oil, resulting in a higher fuel efficiency

I posted some pictures with the hths highlighted

If you look at the pictures I posted of product data sheets for the 0w20 Mobil advanced fuel Economy oil(the oil the OP is running) and redline 0w20. You can clearly see that redline 0w20 is slightly thicker than the Mobil 1 advanced fuel economy oil which is also 0w20

This means you can have 2 different brands of 0w20 oils with a different thickness at operating temp.

you can also have a 0w30 oil that is THICKER at operating temp than a comparable 5w30 even tho they both are rated at “30” weight

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ther

There are other factors that determine oil thickness.

HTHS is one of the main ones.

HTHS measures the viscosity (resistance to flow) of an engine lubricant at elevated temperatures (150°C) under constant shear, simulating the narrow tolerances and high speeds between moving parts in a hot engine. The lower the measured torque, the lower the HTHS viscosity of the oil, resulting in a higher fuel efficiency

I posted some pictures with the hths highlighted

If you look at the pictures I posted of product data sheets for the 0w20 Mobil advanced fuel Economy oil(the oil the OP is running) and redline 0w20. You can clearly see that redline 0w20 is slightly thicker than the Mobil 1 advanced fuel economy oil which is also 0w20

This means you can 2 different brands of 0w20 oils with different thickness at operating temp.

you can also have a 0w30 oil that is THICKER at operating temp than a comparable 5w30 even tho they both are rated at “30” weight
Yes,there are slight differences among brands and likely between different batches of the same brand when measured at different times. But the differences are not significant, certainly not enough to account for noticeable increases in engine noise from one brand to another. Synthetic oils are manufactured products and can't be expected to be identical even though they all fall under the same viscosity heading.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes,there are slight differences among brands and likely between different batches of the same brand when measured at different times. But the differences are not significant, certainly not enough to account for noticeable increases in engine noise from one brand to another. Synthetic oils are manufactured products and can't be expected to be identical even though they all fall under the same viscosity heading.
If your saying the difference in thickness that I posted is negligible then look at this product data sheet of Mobil 1 0w30 oil and compare it to the redline 0w20 picture I already posted.

The hsht rating of the Mobil 1 0w30 is 3.0

the hsht rating of the redline 0w20 is 2.9

The average hsht of 0w20 is 2.75(castrol gtx). The average hsht of a 0w30 is about 3.0 but obviously as I stated they vary.

So from the info provided... At operating temp they are almost as thick as each other. So the redline is considered fairly thick for 0w20.

If the OP was running a thicker 0w20, then the switch to the Mobil 0w20 helped fuel economy.

Notice that the difference in hsht between 0w20 and 0w30 is about 0.3 hst. I don’t think you want to put 0w30 in your 0w20 rated engine right?

Compare that difference to the comparison I made between the redline and Mobil 0w20. that’s a difference of 0.2 hsht. So that means that difference must still be somewhat significant.

Now the thickness between Mobil advanced fuel economy 0w20 and castrol gtx 0w20 is only 0.05 hsht.
This is still enough for Mobil to claim more fuel economy so there must be a measurable difference even if ever so slight.

Lastly A more viscous fluid has greater internal damping. This should increase the damping on the system making it quieter (less movement).
So thicker oils can quiet down a motor.

Dont mind the grammatical errors, Im trying to respond quickly while installing new sway bars on my car

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 HR V
21 Posts
I just did this including the mobil 1 oil filter. My daily drive is about 150 miles. Some days it's closer to 250. Mostly highway. Average mileage before was around 25-28.
Today it's been between 30 -34 mpg.
I run 87 octane, maintain tire pressure, and drive aggressively as I am in the Atlanta area.
Very pleased with the results.

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts
Notice that the difference in hsht between 0w20 and 0w30 is about 0.3 hst. I don’t think you want to put 0w30 in your 0w20 rated engine right?
For our engine (R18Z), we're actually able to use thicker oils so the higher HTHS would be beneficial if you don't care about a tiny loss of fuel consumption.

Here's a thread from a German oil forum which goes into it in depth (google translate required):

To sum it up: 0w30 and 5w30 is what Honda recommends in Europe and others regions recommend 5W40.

I'm going to be trying out a special kind of 10W30 in the summer which is supposed to clean the engine.

The OP in that German thread had issues with carbon on the piston rings which caused them to stick and raise oil consumption. This is the main reason I'm giving the special cleaning 10W30 a try - preventive maintenance (even though it's probably not needed).

·
Registered
100 Posts
A very well equipped engine laboratory with calibrated dynamometers, and mass fuel flow measurement, and very tight temperature controls on everything,....... would be necessary to catch a fuel economy change from one 5W20 to another of similar viscosity. Mobil 1is a fine oil, but, more marketing than technology.

I'll use a good brand name oil, and put the money saved toward my coffee budget.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts