Honda HR-V Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2019 HRV EX CVT. 1.5 Earth Dreams. Modern Steel.
15 Posts
My HRV just passed 2000 miles last week, so I had an oil change using Mobil1 0W-20 for better engine protection.

Since then, 4 days, I have been noticing a marked improvement in gas mileage.

For example for my commute today:
  • Home To Work (approx 20 miles) of combination of mostly level back roads with minor up-and-down hills (about 15 miles @ 40mph +/-) and city driving (about 5 miles)
  • Work To Home (approx 25 miles) of combination single lane roads (about 15 miles @ 40 mph) and highway driving (10 miles @ 60 mph)

My average gas mileage was just over 41 mpg. WOW...
This used to be an average of 37~38 mpg for the exact same commute...
Better protection & better gas mileage: Well worth the money.
And you can do 12k miles between changes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For our engine (R18Z), we're actually able to use thicker oils so the higher HTHS would be beneficial if you don't care about a tiny loss of fuel consumption.

Here's a thread from a German oil forum which goes into it in depth (google translate required):

To sum it up: 0w30 and 5w30 is what Honda recommends in Europe and others regions recommend 5W40.

I'm going to be trying out a special kind of 10W30 in the summer which is supposed to clean the engine.

The OP in that German thread had issues with carbon on the piston rings which caused them to stick and raise oil consumption. This is the main reason I'm giving the special cleaning 10W30 a try - preventive maintenance (even though it's probably not needed).
Honda recommend 0W-20 for my 2019 petrol CVT HRV. I always used that in my 2008 Accord auto. Petrol 2 litre, which returned 40mpg and gave me 13 years great service.

·
Registered
15 Posts
And you can do 12k miles between changes.
What oil were you using before?
I've used genuine Honda 0w 20 for 8 years in my Accord and got 40mpg (33 US) in mixed driving. My HR-V is giving me 53mpg (44 US) on whatever oil the dealership I bought it from put in.

·
Registered
980 Posts
What ever the MM says... I'm approaching 60K miles and I've gone strictly off the MM. It starts with the wrench symbol flashing when you start the car at around 15%(?). Then once you drop a bit closer, maybe 10%, it goes solid and stays on. I dislike seeing solid lights on the dash and usually make sure I make my appointment to get the oil changed once it hits the 15% mark (pre-Covid). I'm was getting close to 10K miles between changes, but since it has been over a year I am having it done pro-actively next week.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What ever the MM says... I'm approaching 60K miles and I've gone strictly off the MM. It starts with the wrench symbol flashing when you start the car at around 15%(?). Then once you drop a bit closer, maybe 10%, it goes solid and stays on. I dislike seeing solid lights on the dash and usually make sure I make my appointment to get the oil changed once it hits the 15% mark (pre-Covid). I'm was getting close to 10K miles between changes, but since it has been over a year I am having it done pro-actively next week.
I know that a lot of people follow the oil % to change the oil..but I grew up in the every 3000 mile club then increased it to 5000 with syn oil. My old 2007 accord had 385000 on it and I would change the oil and filter every 5000 with syn oil...Old habits are hard to break esp at 67 years oil..thanks for the info..

61 - 67 of 67 Posts