Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Looks great... Wow is that low! I hope you were able to get all 4 wheels into alignment after lowering it that much.

What are the wheel and tire specs?

You need to take some better pictures though. Level ground, away from any buildings, various angles.

And those 4 badges on the rear look out of place. A heat gun and fishing line to get rid of those to clean up the rear hatch!

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tires are the stock P225/50R18s and the wheels are Enkei EDR9s which are 18x17.5 with +45 offset. I haven't gotten an alignment yet but it drives fine except the steering wheels has to be turned to the right a little for it to go straight. Also for the pictures, it was kind of in the moment for the pictures and I took it with my crappy 6S Plus.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yep, you need to get a 4 wheel alignment right away.

I don't know of anyone making aftermarket adjustable ball joints, or control arms or suspension arms for the HRV so if it cannot be aligned to specs, you may have to raise your HRV back up.

Your wheel/tire combo is quite good. the 18x7.5 +45 wheels stick out 10mm more than stock and slightly wider tires.
225's are a good fit on 7.5" wide wheels.

If I recall, member Goobers HRV is also lowered with 17x8 +50mm wheels and 235/50R17 tires.
I think he used lowering coil springs rather than adjustable coil overs. It also looks really good.

Quite the contrast to the guys installing taller All-terrain tires going for an off-road type stance. :)

Edit: I have never heard of Yellowspeed Racing before.

They make 2 different coil overs for the HRV. Which coil overs did you install?

·
Registered
293 Posts
So you have an AEM aftermarket air intake, modded exhaust system, modded suspension, wheels and tires.

The next item to consider is an under-drive crank pulley.

It looks like NST used to make an underdrive crank pulley for the 1.8L engine but no longer.
I poked around on a Honda Civic forum about these pulleys but that was futile.

I have an underdrive crank pulley on our TSX and my 5.0L Mustang. It can really free up the engine with a manual trans, likely not nearly as noticeable on an auto trans engine.
In my experience a stock diameter, lightweight crank pulley makes zero difference because the radius is so small.
Under-driving the accessories has the most effect.

They are easy to install, not expensive (you will need a shorter serpentine belt).
I will keep trying to find one, perhaps I will email NST.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excuse me, I have a 2017 Honda HRV EX FWD, and the ride comfort has never been good. I know that coilovers are mainly for lowering the car, but does yellow racing actually improve your ride comfort?
It makes the ride bumpier but im sacrificing ride quality for looks and handling. It also depends on the dampening setting that you set it at for the coilovers.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you have an AEM aftermarket air intake, modded exhaust system, modded suspension, wheels and tires.

The next item to consider is an under-drive crank pulley.

It looks like NST used to make an underdrive crank pulley for the 1.8L engine but no longer.
I poked around on a Honda Civic forum about these pulleys but that was futile.

I have an underdrive crank pulley on our TSX and my 5.0L Mustang. It can really free up the engine with a manual trans, likely not nearly as noticeable on an auto trans engine.
In my experience a stock diameter, lightweight crank pulley makes zero difference because the radius is so small.
Under-driving the accessories has the most effect.

They are easy to install, not expensive (you will need a shorter serpentine belt).
I will keep trying to find one, perhaps I will email NST.
I dont think it will work with the CVT trans unfortunately.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Looks great Wai Lam!

I still recommend to de-badge the rear hatch. All those badges look cluttered.
Let the sun shine on the rear hatch, fishing line to remove them, mild solvent to clean up residue and then wax the hatch.

That thing will run circles around the HRV's with the off-road type tires and stance!
Much more my style. Our 3 other vehicles are also lowered.

How did the wheel alignment go?

I'm still searching for an underdrive crank pulley. I did email NST. Zero success.
I would have no problems trying one on our HRV.
An underdrive crank pulley is more beneficial with a manual trans but would help with a CVT trans also.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After an alignment it still slightly wants to turn to the right. Also I will probably debadge it some time in thw future when I get the time to do it. I thought I needed a heat gun to take the badges off.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks great Wai Lam!

Let the sun shine on the rear hatch, fishing line to remove them, mild solvent to clean up residue and then wax the hatch.

That thing will run circles around the HRV's with the off-road type tires and stance!

I'm still searching for an underdrive crank pulley. I did email NST. Zero success.
An underdrive crank pulley is more beneficial with a manual trans but would help with a CVT trans also.
Looks great Wai Lam!

Also for my rear coulovers, the left is somehow lower than the right slightly even thought they were both set to the lowest

·
Registered
293 Posts
Do you have the alignment report/printout? If yes, take a pic and post it up.
Closely examine all 4 tires for unusual wear.

Those are small badges, some warm sun or even a hair dryer will loosen them up for removal.

Also for my rear coulovers, the left is somehow lower than the right slightly even thought they were both set to the lowest
On a flat surface, measure all 4 corners of your HRV. Top of the wheel well, straight down to the ground thru the middle of the wheel center cap.
It should be close to level side to side. Within a 1/4 inch. Easy to correct with coilovers.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They did not give me an alignment report or print out but I brought it back and did another alignment and said everything was fine. I also check the tires for unusual/uneven wear and the tires looked perfectly fine. Also got my suspension all checked out recently and no problems. Maybe I’m imagining it but when I turn the wheel slightly to the left and let go it stays straight.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Make sure the tire pressures are even side to side.
As I mentioned, measure the vehicle and adjust the coilovers to get it level side to side.
The shop should have done this when you brought it back.

Nearly all shops have a computerized alignment rack these days and a print out of the alignment results is standard.
You may need to find another alignment shop.

If the vehicle (steering wheel) doesn't want to "return to center", that is usually lack of front caster.

Caster is not adjustable on the stock HRV but the Yellowspeed website pics of the front coilovers shows adjustable front caster/camber plates which should allow for caster/camber adjustments.

Do you have any pictures of the Yellowspeed coilovers before they were installed on your HRV?

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They should have adjusted the coilovers for me? I always take my vehicle to Belle Tire for my vehicle needs and they have always done a good job. I do not have any photos of the yellow speed coilovers but they are on the website. Also I did not see any camber plates or anything else that could be changed on the coilovers.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I dont think it will work with the CVT trans unfortunately.
The HRV does not have a power steering pulley (the civics do) - so that s another thing to consider - if the pulley/belt will still function.
Considering all the effort - the minimal gains for these aftermarket parts are not really worth it for the R18.
even a Skunk2 cam will add maybe 5 HP at upper range- and with that and the AEM intake - lotta work for slight bump in HP and not much torque bump.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts