Honda HR-V Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Where under the hood is it?
You can get to it without removing the plastic air intake but it is a little tight.
Reach in to the left of the plastic air intake box. Mine had a little dirt on the opening,
cleaned it with a pin. (32,000 miles) I will clean it at every oil change from now on.

Attachments

· Registered
775 Posts
I checked the CVT transmission vent on our HRV earlier this week. It was also dirty.

Thanks to everyone who posted info on this thread.

Reactions: John35g

· Registered
1,141 Posts

as viewed in this pic- the engine is "behind" this assmebly, and the transmission would be in "front".
The breather is on top between the two, and closer to the front of the car (nearer the radiator than the firewall)

· Registered
775 Posts
SanPablo's post #24 in this thread with the pictures should allow everyone to find the HRV CVT trans vent plug.

Pull off the air intake tube if you are still have trouble finding it.
Once you have found it, you will be able to remove and re-install it easily just by feel without removing the air intake tube.
Soak the rubber vent in a mild solvent for a few minutes to clean it quickly and completely.

As an aside, a few months ago I discovered that the 6 speed manual trans in our 2006 Acura TSX has exactly same rubber vent cap. I have never noticed it nor cleaned it before but it was spotless.

Then I had a peek at the parts catalog for the 6 speed manual trans in an HRV.
Sure enough, the HRV manual trans has exactly the same rubber vent cap.
The manual trans folks should be checking and cleaning their trans vent cap also.

BTW, the trans vent caps have all the same p/n. 21396-P20-000
HRV CVT, HRV manual trans, 2006 TSX manual trans, Civic CVT plus likely many more.

· Registered
2 Posts
Edit: Found the vent plug. Thanks for all the help!

For those seemingly challenged like myself, the valve cap is (from the Driver's perspective inside the cabin), is 45° to the front and right of the fill plug (the one with the hook). With the placement and position of the various tubes of this HRV, it is entirely obscured by view from above, either standing at the tire wheel or in front of the car. To locate it, stand in front of the car, look directly downwards and look for the bolt facing the starboard wheel circled red. The vent plug is just to the rear of that bolt, on the same elevation. Remove and replace by feel alone.

As for my vent plug, it was relatively clean. This company HRV is at 28,000km, driven entirely between farms. Enjoyed a blast of concentrated farm fertilizer smell cleaning the vent plug.

The vent plug is oriented to face the front however. Honda even marks it with a an arrow and "F" inscribed. This begs the question. Why?
Why would the vent plug be oriented to face forwards? Would not this only introduce ram air foreign debris into the transmission case?

· Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
446 Posts
Does anyone know if vent plug was modified in 2018?
The Honda part numbers are the same on 2017 & 2020 listings, if that helps. (Of course, the # could have been updated.)

21396-P20-000 $4.26 each at HondaPartsDeals.com

Reactions: John35g

· Registered
23 Posts
It is mentioned several times above that the breather cap can be removed by feel without removing any parts.

Could someone please advise if I should be reaching in to get the cap on/off from the blue arrow side or the red arrow side?
The red arrow side seems a bit tighter and is at a worse angle I think.
Is putting it back on just as easy? I hate to pull it off and can't get it back on.

· Registered
775 Posts
I had to go out to the garage to confirm!

The small rubber CVT trans vent is directly under the 2 radiator hoses coming from the thermostat housing.
Using my right hand fingers, I can pop off the trans vent going from blue arrow side of your picture.
It is awkward but not hard. I have big hands and long fingers so that could be a factor.
Putting it on is actually easier IMO.

If you still can't get it, the air intake pipe from the rad support to the air intake box is easily removed.
2 push pins on the rad support.

The lower intake air resonator is removed on our HRV but that is not a factor.
It's the black plastic assembly below and forward of the rad hoses.

I hope this helps. It is important to regularly check and clean that CVT trans vent cap.

Reactions: Phalkon30

· Registered
23 Posts

The small rubber CVT trans vent is directly under the 2 radiator hoses coming from the thermostat housing.
Using my right hand fingers, I can pop off the trans vent going from blue arrow side of your picture.
It is awkward but not hard. I have big hands and long fingers so that could be a factor.

If you still can't get it, the air intake pipe from the rad support to the air intake box is easily removed.

I hope this helps. It is important to regularly check and clean that CVT trans vent cap.
Thanks so much for confirming.
I can feel the rubber vent piece while putting my left hand underneath the lower rad hose from the blue arrow side. There doesn't seem to be much height to pull it straight up and off. I guess it's just rubber so it can be bent/twisted to get it off/on.

May I ask why your air intake resonator is removed from your HRV?

· Registered
775 Posts
May I ask why your air intake resonator is removed from your HRV?

Lol, because some of us have been modding cars since we were 12 years old, even a commuter HRV!

Here is a link to a recent thread which links to several other threads on the HRV intake system and cold air intakes.
Details on the AEM aftermarket intake, and details on the compromised design of the OEM HRV intake system.

It seems that our HRV has ended up with several mods/upgrades/changes. That wasn't the plan!

· Registered
71 Posts

Although I have small hands, my fingers are too short to reach the trans vent. I went the extra mile to remove the plastic air intake and although it required some extra steps, it was definitely worth it. I have a push pin remover which made it much easier to remove the assembly, along with loosening the two 10mm bolt heads without removing them, to allow upward movement on the air filter housing. My 2016 HR-V vent has 35K miles on it and it was plugged but easy to clean. I just used a paper towel to remove the outer layer, then a paper clip to push the dirt out of the hole. I blew through it to make sure it was clear and then for extra measure - probably not necessary - I sprayed some silicone spray through it.
Removal and installation was far easier this way and it also allowed me to see what I was doing. I plan to do this at every CVT fluid change. Total time was about 30 minutes without rushing it. The only tools needed were the push pin removal tool and a 10mm socket and wrench.
This also gives much better access to the fill plug.

· Registered
1 Posts
Need a bit of help.. even with all the pics I can't find that breather cap (COVID brain fog confirmed?). Using this picture of the engine bay, can someone circle approximately where that breather cap is located? View attachment 31275
AMIGO right under the thermostat a littlt tricky is 4" to tke left of Filler thansmit. plug beneath the upper coolant hose CONNECTION..

21 - 40 of 45 Posts