Honda HR-V Forum banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
In my 2007 Honda Accord with the 2.4 had a 51r also...I remember reading about a upgrade to the larger battery that the accord v6 used... It included a new battery tray . If I remember it was just remove and replace with new tray and hold downs...will have to look it up..

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honda Accord, 2016 base model with original 51R battery (5.5 years old). No problems to date. Mechanic checked it; it is still pulling 385 CCA for the 410 CCA battery. This was the same 385 CCA as a test he did at end of 2019.

If I was just using the car for around town, I would wait until it started to have problems, or died. But I have a long 2,400 mile trip coming up in about a week.

So replace or not replace the battery prior to the trip. Comments?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Honda Accord, 2016 base model with original 51R battery (5.5 years old). No problems to date. Mechanic checked it; it is still pulling 385 CCA for the 410 CCA battery. This was the same 385 CCA as a test he did at end of 2019.

If I was just using the car for around town, I would wait until it started to have problems, or died. But I have a long 2,400 mile trip coming up in about a week.

So replace or not replace the battery prior to the trip. Comments?

Honda Accord or Honda HRV?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I dont like the way Honda's auto light mode works. Open the locked door the lights come on before the engine starts. If the battery is marginal, on a cold day it can required a jump start.
Are you talking about the headlights? Interior lights will only drain the battery if they are left on all night with the engine off. At any rate, if you did have the headlights on before you start the car, the relay will kill the lights while the starter is turning.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The 51R battery in my HRV has died and needed a jump start a few times in the last 3+ years of owning it. Just recently, the dash lights went bonkers and flashed on and off and clicked violently and wouldn't let me turn the car on or off for several seconds. I've read about this happening to others and it went away after a jump start. I figure the battery is on its last legs.

We have several threads that mention how bad and small 51R batteries are. I know many here have replaced them but it looks like most are getting replaced under warranty with another Honda battery or another 51R battery. Has anyone upgraded theirs to a bigger battery?
All I did was replace with a better brand, Duracell 51R. Honda will not admit that they put in inferior batteries for a few runs. They are however offering a better battery 100 months warranty however it costs $125.00 plus installation and diagnosis.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you talking about the headlights? Interior lights will only drain the battery if they are left on all night with the engine off. At any rate, if you did have the headlights on before you start the car, the relay will kill the lights while the starter is turning.
Their post and pre running systems suck your battery down with interior and exterior lights oh,yes the 6 modules and other keep-alive devices. No battery protection device working on mine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just remember when they fail, they don’t really give you any indication, they just go out. An interstate is only a $70 purchase, I’d replace it. My buddies civic went out at 1am in the morning, as he was coming out of a bar, not wasted but he certainly didn’t want to be hassled… The AAA cost was more than the battery.

One of Honda,s years of bogus batteries. Mine had A/C leaks too. Incompatible refrigerant?

·
Registered
69 Posts
All of my batteries in all of my cars, trucks and motorcycles of all sizes and CCA's have lasted me at least 5 years or more except for one. One year, I decided to upgrade the old battery in my Honda Element to the Optima Yellow because of its great reputation. Unfortunately, I did not research deeply enough to find out that the original company was recently bought out by another one which had no quality control over its products. No matter what I did, I could not get the battery to keep a charge for more than a few weeks. I finally returned it to the auto parts store for a full refund and bought another 51R battery. All of the aftermarket batteries I used in all of my Honda's were aftermarket and came from various auto parts stores, knowing that I could return the battery if it was defective. The only one that was defective (no charging problem, cracked bottom leaking acid) was an Interstate. I replaced it with another Interstate and it is now over 5 years old.
The smallest car battery I ever had was in my Miata, a tiny AGM battery that was connected in the trunk beside the spare tire, under the floor. It was still going strong when I sold the car and it was over 6 years old at the time.
Bottom line: Don't overthink this. Get a premium battery from an auto parts store (store brand such as NAPA or Auto Zone or Advance Auto, etc., is fine) and keep the receipt for the warranty. If the car is parked for extended period of time, hook it up to a "smart charger" such as the Battery Tender Plus which will not over-charge the battery and will work on liquid or AGM batteries. I think Lithium batteries are overkill because I've never needed one.

·
Administrator
1,872 Posts
Yes. If you set your headlights to auto. They will turn on when you open the door before the car starts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes. If you set your headlights to auto. They will turn on when you open the door before the car starts
Just mentioning that the lighting settings can help battery storage by changing to minimum time on or not being so sensitive to ambient daylight.

·
Registered
666 Posts
All of my batteries in all of my cars, trucks and motorcycles of all sizes and CCA's have lasted me at least 5 years or more except for one. One year, I decided to upgrade the old battery in my Honda Element to the Optima Yellow because of its great reputation. Unfortunately, I did not research deeply enough to find out that the original company was recently bought out by another one which had no quality control over its products. No matter what I did, I could not get the battery to keep a charge for more than a few weeks. I finally returned it to the auto parts store for a full refund and bought another 51R battery. All of the aftermarket batteries I used in all of my Honda's were aftermarket and came from various auto parts stores, knowing that I could return the battery if it was defective. The only one that was defective (no charging problem, cracked bottom leaking acid) was an Interstate. I replaced it with another Interstate and it is now over 5 years old.
The smallest car battery I ever had was in my Miata, a tiny AGM battery that was connected in the trunk beside the spare tire, under the floor. It was still going strong when I sold the car and it was over 6 years old at the time.
Bottom line: Don't overthink this. Get a premium battery from an auto parts store (store brand such as NAPA or Auto Zone or Advance Auto, etc., is fine) and keep the receipt for the warranty. If the car is parked for extended period of time, hook it up to a "smart charger" such as the Battery Tender Plus which will not over-charge the battery and will work on liquid or AGM batteries. I think Lithium batteries are overkill because I've never needed one.
I had a Yellow Top years ago in my Civic - and was told that they are deep cycle and actually need to be charged differently - they are not good for a daily driver etc.
(plus the AGMs tend to have less CCA)

·
Administrator
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
My 51R battery finally died last week, so I bought a remanufactured 56R battery to try out the fitment. 56R isn't very popular anymore as it was used on mid 80's Ford's and Jeep's. It has 590 CCA.

It fits fine without the original tray and box. I need to find a 56R tray for it. View attachment 29752
Well, my used or remanufactured 56R battery started leaking fumes from the battery posts so I decided to just replace it with a 51R from Costco.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's all good. Hey it's a crap shoot replacing batteries. I have a load tester and replace my batteries at the first sign of loss. That being said a 5.5 year old Honda factory battery is living on borrowed time in MHO.
You can also use the car itself by using a voltmeter,if the car doesn't have one,by following a simple procedure ; take reading when fully charged,apply load with all lights on, take reading,then with lights off take reading and watch to see if it recovers and how long it takes to recover. This checks internal resistance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a Yellow Top years ago in my Civic - and was told that they are deep cycle and actually need to be charged differently - they are not good for a daily driver etc.
(plus the AGMs tend to have less CCA)
Low charge rate is required or you risk burnout or explosion.

·
Registered
97 Posts
From being a mamber of a Fit forum, the 51R is considered an upgrade to the tiny 151R or whatever it is they stuck in Fits....bought our '15 used in '16, afaik, it's the same factory battery, still no problems.....but, good lord, it's the tiniest battery I/ve ever seen in a car, like the size of my small lawn tractor/mower battery, for crying out loud, but so far, so good, and I probably just jinxed myself....LOL

61 - 80 of 87 Posts