Honda HR-V Forum banner
81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
From being a mamber of a Fit forum, the 51R is considered an upgrade to the tiny 151R or whatever it is they stuck in Fits....bought our '15 used in '16, afaik, it's the same factory battery, still no problems.....but, good lord, it's the tiniest battery I/ve ever seen in a car, like the size of my small lawn tractor/mower battery, for crying out loud, but so far, so good, and I probably just jinxed myself....LOL
I wouldn't worry about it. The tiny battery in the trunk of my 2001 Miata fit underneath the luggage floor with room to spare. It was also the size of my lawn mower battery, but it was a very powerful AGM model which refused to die. At 6 years old, it was still going strong. Size doesn't matter as much as it used to. At least that has been my experience. I've owned Honda's for over 30 years and the only batteries that failed were new ones that were recently installed with factory defects. Those were replaced under warranty and life was good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
From being a mamber of a Fit forum, the 51R is considered an upgrade to the tiny 151R or whatever it is they stuck in Fits....bought our '15 used in '16, afaik, it's the same factory battery, still no problems.....but, good lord, it's the tiniest battery I/ve ever seen in a car, like the size of my small lawn tractor/mower battery, for crying out loud, but so far, so good, and I probably just jinxed myself....LOL
Tiny is as Tiny does. Leave it be.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Awesome, about to do the same. So mine is pretty covered in battery acid. Did some cleaning of it with a baking soda/water solution and wire-bristle brush. Someone is telling me I need to replace the entire negative connection... Pictured below (NOT MY PICTURE)

View attachment 30892

Is there somewhere this unit/connection is sold specifically for our cars? Haven't been quite able to find the exact piece.
Acid discharge indicates battery high charging rate due to internal short. Dump it before it damages something else and leaves you short of a ride.

·
Registered
99 Posts
We had a Toyota Tercel once upon a time (bought new in '91??? dunno ) Had a Panasonic battery that lasted for 10 yrs....I was amazed, longest lasting auto battery I've ever experienced...but then again, the car was pretty old school, manual trans and not really any electronics other than ABS, if that. But I was impredded with it's life. Being's as it seems to be a commomon upgrade to Fits, may go with a 51R when the time comes, who knows? Or maybe I'll go to The Home Depot and buy a lawn tractor battery LOL

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well, my used or remanufactured 56R battery started leaking fumes from the battery posts so I decided to just replace it with a 51R from Costco.

I'm surprised that you didn't replace your larger 56R battery (590CCA) with a new 56R battery rather than going back to the small 51R battery (500CCA).

Was there a reason? Perhaps availability of the rare 56R versus the commonly available 51R battery?

·
Administrator
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
I'm surprised that you didn't replace your larger 56R battery (590CCA) with a new 56R battery rather than going back to the small 51R battery (500CCA).

Was there a reason? Perhaps availability of the rare 56R versus the commonly available 51R battery?
Yes. That and I like Costco's 36 Month replacement warranty.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We had a Toyota Tercel once upon a time (bought new in '91??? dunno ) Had a Panasonic battery that lasted for 10 yrs....I was amazed, longest lasting auto battery I've ever experienced...but then again, the car was pretty old school, manual trans and not really any electronics other than ABS, if that. But I was impredded with it's life. Being's as it seems to be a commomon upgrade to Fits, may go with a 51R when the time comes, who knows? Or maybe I'll go to The Home Depot and buy a lawn tractor battery LOL
I think that was the same battery in my Miata. It was intermediate old-school with coil packs, etc., but no ABS, traction control or anything else very advanced.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts