Honda HR-V Forum banner
21 - 40 of 115 Posts
You could get a cheap Go Pro a-likey for about £20 online and attach it to the plastic housing between the steering wheel and dash cluster (ensuring you don't obscure the speedometer et al) via sticky velcro pads and that way you have a record of it happening to show the dealership staff.

mine hasn't done it since last post.. it's cold in Illinois also.. i wonder if it was only doing it when i was gasing up with the car turned on?
I had no idea this was a thing. Definitely illegal where I'm from

"Fuel dispensing procedures

(1) Except as provided in Sentence (2), flammable liquids and combustible liquids shall not be dispensed into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle, watercraft or floatplane while its engine is running.

(2) It is permitted to dispense a Class II or IIIA liquid into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle while its engine is running provided it is dispensed not less than 6 m away from any Class I liquid dispenser.

Diesel engine can be running as long as diesel pump is more than 6 m away from the nearest gas pump

max penalty $50K fine and/or 1 year in jail"

I always kill the motor before fueling up and it still does it. I'm starting to think it really has to do with something in the cluster. It's also hard to replicate the fault when you take it to dealership since its gone by the time you get there :cautious:
Make sure to take a photo or a video every time it happens,

The dealership will be able to use the media as justification to get Honda corporate to replace the parts.

The fact this is happening on models from 2016-2019 is very weird. Bad quality control from the manufacturer is my guess

The fact this is happening on models from 2016-2019 is very weird. Bad quality control from the manufacturer is my guess
You are not likely someone who deals regularly in QC (Quality Control). If this were bad QC then we'd see a lot more of this issue. Just by the fact that this thread is over a year old and has only 26 posts, tells me that this is an isolated incident. Consider not only the hundreds of thousands of HRVs manufactured every year. Just think about the nearly 11,000 people on this forum. If this were bad QC or a prevalent issue, this thread would have had more action. Any time you have mass manufacturing you are likely to encounter an errant defect. It could be the assembly line worker who didn't push quite hard enough that one time because they had an itch and a connector somewhere wasn't quite tight enough. Did it pass QC? Yeah, but in transit, or with use, that connector came loose. It could be just that one random manufacturing defect. But overall, I'd say the QC is pretty good on this specific area of the vehicle. Does it suck for those experiencing it? Yes!!! But, not a huge QC issue. (Stepping off my soapbox now)

Had the same issue earlier this morning. Done with my usual routine, started and warmed up the engine for atleast 5-8 mins until the low temp icon is out. Start driving my 2019 HRV when i notice that my fuel gauge was flickering, drove less than a mile to look for parking and parked my car and shut down the engine, start back the engine and problem is gone. Hopefully it won’t come back.

Had the same issue earlier this morning. Done with my usual routine, started and warmed up the engine for atleast 5-8 mins until the low temp icon is out. Start driving my 2019 HRV when i notice that my fuel gauge was flickering, drove less than a mile to look for parking and parked my car and shut down the engine, start back the engine and problem is gone. Hopefully it won’t come back.
I’ve found that it does come back 🤦🏼‍♀️

I’ve found that it does come back 🤦🏼‍♀️
To be honest, I just disregard it at this point. Honda is trying to charge me an arm and a leg for a new cluster with installation. When it goes out completely, is when I'll worry about it 🤷

Never did. Just been living with it. It happens infrequently and I’m not sure of a trend on the occurrence. The two dealerships that saw it have said that it may need a software update but I think they’re wrong.
I've had the same thing happening in my 2016 hrv, ever since it started getting cold. For me in Bay Area CA, if the weather is much below 50 degrees, then it goes blank... at first it tripped out like others have reported. I called a Honda dealership and they said they haven't heard of the issue (what a surprise!) and encouraged me to bring it in for it to be checked out, for $240, no promises.
I haven't noticed any other issues and just deal with it and look fwd to warmer weather!

Maybe we should call Honda America & complain, then just maybe they’ll extend our warranties like they did recently for the Start Button issue. It couldn’t hurt.
I've had the same thing happening in my 2016 hrv, ever since it started getting cold. For me in Bay Area CA, if the weather is much below 50 degrees, then it goes blank... at first it tripped out like others have reported. I called a Honda dealership and they said they haven't heard of the issue (what a surprise!) and encouraged me to bring it in for it to be checked out, for $240, no promises.
I haven't noticed any other issues and just deal with it and look fwd to warmer weather!
I think we all should call Honda America and register a complaint. Then, just maybe they’ll at least extend our warranties to cover this problem, like they have for the Start Button.

I have seen others post this same problem that my 2019 is experiencing. Only when it is cold outside, and only until the car warms up. Dealership looked at it and couldn't find why. They reset the entire dash, but the problem is still there.

Anyone else have a fuel gauge / odometer that goes in and out? When it's been cooler outside mine has been showing jibberish in the past, now it just plain doesn't show up until my car is warmed up. It has been suggested to me that it's a communication problem. Any ideas on how to fix? I'd rather not pay the dealership to troubleshoot and I'm not under warranty any longer.
Yes, and the dealership couldn't figure out why.

You are not likely someone who deals regularly in QC (Quality Control). If this were bad QC then we'd see a lot more of this issue. Just by the fact that this thread is over a year old and has only 26 posts, tells me that this is an isolated incident. Consider not only the hundreds of thousands of HRVs manufactured every year. Just think about the nearly 11,000 people on this forum. If this were bad QC or a prevalent issue, this thread would have had more action. Any time you have mass manufacturing you are likely to encounter an errant defect. It could be the assembly line worker who didn't push quite hard enough that one time because they had an itch and a connector somewhere wasn't quite tight enough. Did it pass QC? Yeah, but in transit, or with use, that connector came loose. It could be just that one random manufacturing defect. But overall, I'd say the QC is pretty good on this specific area of the vehicle. Does it suck for those experiencing it? Yes!!! But, not a huge QC issue. (Stepping off my soapbox now)
Same problem with my 2019

going to take it in tomorrow(4-1) will let you know what they did. Its a lease with 8,400 miles and its a 2019 HRV Sport

i had a issue with it twice last week, once when i got in my HRV to start it up on a warm morning.

21 - 40 of 115 Posts