Honda HR-V Forum banner
581 - 591 of 591 Posts

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,376 Posts
Today I very nearly 'modified' the NS and front end of my HR-V whilst joining a 50mph Dual Carriageway.

Asphalt Slope Font Parallel Urban design

I had just pulled out from the middle 'island' section to take the sliproad lane (where the red arrow is pointing) to join the motorway. I stopped in the centre and had a good look to towards traffic coming towards me from the two lanes on my left. From my positio, the road looked clear and so I pulled out, until my wife warned me there was already a vehicle in that lane, and that was when I saw the vehicle. Emergency Stop carried out, ABS kicked in, RTC avoided - didn't notice if the Hazards activated automatically.

One of the things I have noted with the HR-V is where the A pillar and wing mirror meet there is quite a considerable blind spot that can in certain situations obscure a vehicle. In today's case as I crossed the two nearest lanes the blindspot hid the vehicle from my view all the way across. From previous experience, if you try to cross to the island directly, there are some people who will cross with you and wait on your right, which they are not supposed to do as it's single vehicle only. To prevent this from happening, you cross at an angle, however, as happened today, that causes its own issues.

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Automotive side-view mirror

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
@9w6vx

It's a combination of a number of factors; the over size of the wing mirror housing, the actual location of the wing mirror, and then the combined length of the wing mirror and the A pillar.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

From the LED indicator on the wing mirror to the base of the A pillar where it meets the windscreen must be around 30-40cm, apparently this enough to hide a Ford Fiesta!

Vehicle Car Gear shift Speedometer Motor vehicle

If you look at the latest HR-V, the wing mirror is located on the door below the window line, compared to the current location. This revised location creates a gap between the A pillar and the wing mirror, and reduces the overall blind spot that the 2015 HR-V suffers from;

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

As you can see there is a slight gap of approx. 10cm between the A pillar and the wing mirror;

Vehicle Car Gear shift Speedometer Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
A bit of dashboard husbandry!

Originally had my TomTom mounted more on the passenger side as I didn't want power cables dangling across the HVAC and Head Unit. I had my mobile mounted via a CD slot mount.
Vehicle White Car Automotive mirror Automotive design

However, the TomTom was too far away for me to use when on my own, and the CD slot mount was a little too bouncy for when using my mobile for satnav, which I tend to use more often. So I invested in a Quadlock universal mount, attached another dash disk and removed the CD slot mount. The Quadlock is rock solid, with very little movement, and it is easier and safer to use the satnav app on my mobile. My mobile is powered by a coiled USB A to USB C power lead which sits in the centre console mobile phone holder until it is required.

As I only use the TomTom for really long or multistop journeys, its mount and power cable is now relegated to the glovebox.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Still debating whether to remove the left hand disc as I may still use it for charging my mobile in the Quadlock for journeys when I am using the TomTom. I found that when I was charging my mobile in the tray below the USB ports and 12v socket, I would forget about it and leave it in the car. My previous vehicle would display a message on the dash when you removed the ignition key to remind you to take your mobile with you.

581 - 591 of 591 Posts