Honda HR-V Forum banner
101 - 120 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
The critical point for everyone to be aware of is that you have to have a 2016-2018 HRV EX or higher trim level for this swap to work.
Plus the amplifier differences if you have an HRV EXL or are swapping in a head unit from a CRV EX-L into a lower level HRV.

It does appear that for plug and play that you need to swap in a CRV EX head unit into a HRV EX.
And a CRV EX-L head unit into a HRV EX-L.
Plus be aware that this thread only applies to US 2016-2018 HRV's.

I wonder if one of the mods could change this thread title to include the critical trim detail?
@Einz @SlowFosho

Perhaps improve the thread title to:
"Finally Carplay for 2016-2018 HRV EX or Higher Trim Models! (CRV Head Unit)"

Just a thought that will help everyone before they consider this swap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As per honda the CRV radio is an 8 inch screen. The one I'm selling it already comes with the software update for the apple carplay and the bezel to hold the radio. This will only work for EX models and higher trim.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
I’m trying to find out how much time it takes to do the software update and installation, so I can multiply that times the Honda service hourly rate and thus put a value on this upgrade. Also, so maybe we can pay a tech to do it for us.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Honda techs wont do it because its a beta software which they no longer have access to obtain. This is all done away from the dealership. Its pretty simple to do. The hard part is making sure you get the right unit, the right software into a usb and 20-30 minutes of your time. I've swapped the radio tons of times on my HRV. Everything is pretty simple

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Okay, thanks. I see now that it won’t fit my 2020 LX, which is a shame because I prefer to keep OEM parts on my cars. I have the $500 Dasaita 9” head unit now that took about 20 minutes to install and I love it. I tried the $200 Maxca 9” but it only works on up to 2018. I like those buttons on the factory head unit though, oh well.

·
Registered
2016 Honda HR-V EX FWD
89 Posts
I ended up reading a lot more here and the forums for CR-V and Civic owners than I really wanted to, BUT I really wanted to know what part numbers were compatible, considering the problem of 6-speaker vs 7-speaker, etc. I ultimately found that both of the part numbers below for the 6-speaker configuration should work. If you have an LX or EX, don't get the 7-speaker head unit because you'll need an amplifier. You can tell the difference by looking: the 7-speaker has an extra port on the back.

As far as I can tell, as long as you match the number of speakers and the model number is NR-244UH, you should be able to perform this upgrade. There are similar part numbers to watch out for. NR-245UH is the navigation version, and you should NOT buy it. There are other versions of the NR-244UH, such as NR-244GH and NR-244KH, but I can't confirm those are compatible.

Why am I being so specific? Because I couldn't find the American part for a price I was willing to pay, but the Canadian part (which as far as I can tell is identical, and I've seen Canadians confirming their CR-Vs were compatible with the upgrade) was half the price. So now I have that on order, and obviously I'll update this thread again when I've had a chance to test the Canadian CR-V radio with a US HR-V.

6-speaker:
39100-T1W-A01-M1 (EX from US)
39100-T1W-C01-M1 (SE from CAN)

7-speaker:
39100-T1W-A41-M1
39100-T1W-A41CN
39100-T1W-A41CP
39100-T1W-A41RM
39100-T1W-A410-M1 (may or may not be compatible)

Navigation (INCOMPATIBLE):
39100-T1W-A62-M1
39100-T1W-C620-M1

·
Registered
2016 Honda HR-V EX FWD
89 Posts
UPDATE: Good news! I was able to install the CarPlay upgrade on the Canadian CR-V radio in my US HR-V. This may not seem like much to those of you who have already done this upgrade, but to anyone still on the fence, now there's a half-price method available. I paid USD$110 for the head unit including shipping, compared to prices that were double that or more for the American head unit.

I also took video through the install process to help anyone who's not quite getting it from the written walk-through, but I'm unlikely to have that spliced and posted anywhere for at least a couple days. I'll post again once it's ready.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Hrv EX
41 Posts
Link to the site where you got the head unit?

I need to make this swap. I’m sick of using my phone gps

UPDATE: Good news! I was able to install the CarPlay upgrade on the Canadian CR-V radio in my US HR-V. This may not seem like much to those of you who have already done this upgrade, but to anyone still on the fence, now there's a half-price method available. I paid USD$110 for the head unit including shipping, compared to prices that were double that or more for the American head unit.

I also took video through the install process to help anyone who's not quite getting it from the written walk-through, but I'm unlikely to have that spliced and posted anywhere for at least a couple days. I'll post again once it's ready.

·
Registered
2016 Honda HR-V EX FWD
89 Posts
Link to the site where you got the head unit?

I need to make this swap. I’m sick of using my phone gps
Always happy to share a little knowledge. Hope it goes as smoothly for you as it did for me!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Hrv EX
41 Posts
Always happy to share a little knowledge. Hope it goes as smoothly for you as it did for me!

Just ordered my head unit! My dumbass waited too long and ended up paying 150 :(

Nonetheless Im excited to make the swap!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Hrv EX
41 Posts
hey I managed to fix the big gap. I took the A/M face plate off and with a file sanded the sides and re-adjusted the head unit a bit. The brackets are adjustable. Take a look at the new results. I uploaded new photos, now the gap is minimal.

Any chance you can upload photos of yours? Im about to do this swap next week

·
Registered
2016 Honda HR-V EX FWD
89 Posts
@Bxmoore Congrats! And I'm sorry, considering I paid $110 and it sounded like nobody ever bought the Canadian parts on purpose I'm guessing the price increase is a result of this work.

And I took video as I went, so as soon as I can figure out what software to use to edit video, I'll splice together the install guide.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Hrv EX
41 Posts
@Bxmoore Congrats! And I'm sorry, considering I paid $110 and it sounded like nobody ever bought the Canadian parts on purpose I'm guessing the price increase is a result of this work.

And I took video as I went, so as soon as I can figure out what software to use to edit video, I'll splice together the install guide.
Well let’s see what happens because they emailed me asking to send my vin because they have had many with issues installing. I’ve told them I’m well aware of the issues but my car is compatible (2018 Honda HRV EX 6 speaker)

Definitely keep us posted on that video though. Could be helpful during install

·
Registered
2018 Honda Hrv EX
41 Posts
Okay so they just made me write that I accept the product with no return because it technically isn’t made for my car lol

very weird and very extra of them

·
Registered
6 Posts

Hi @HRVSummoner . Have you been able to finish the video guide by any chance?
@Hondaboy are you still selling radios? I might be interested.

- I've read through this thread several times and the CRV thread as well. I have a 2018 Honda HRV EX and I have some questions:

- Is the GPS/compass issue also happening on the HRV? I only saw a thorough discussion on the CRV forum and on a youtube video for CRV software install but only one post here reminding others to not plug in the GPS/compass wire. Has anyone who has left it plugged in encountered any issues?

- Do you need the other radio car's VIN? I found one on eBay but they don't have the car's VIN. I've reached out to other sellers on eBay but haven't gotten a response regarding knowing the VIN. I've seen other places mention unlock code isn't needed but want to confirm.

- For those that installed it and used the software, have you encountered any issues months later? Since it's beta software and Apple has been updating their iOS, have you encountered any glitches or issues?

I'm hoping to purchase one and have an auto shop install it for me. It has been very eye opening talking to different shops. Some say there is no way, not even with aftermarket radios that I can keep all my factory installed items like steering wheel control, rear view camera and LaneWatch. Others want to charge me $1500. I just want CarPlay.
I'm debating between going the 2015/2016 CRV radio route or just getting a Dasaita, but I don't like that the Dasaita doesn't provide radio, and uses Android OS.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Hrv EX
41 Posts
Okay guys I’m installing but running into an issue here.
When I start up it’s showing my center display in red. Not sure what the issue is but when I get to the next step of pressing power, home & eject it then takes me to the two self diagnostic options where I’m then supposed to hold the power button. But nothing seems to happen at this point.
Any ideas? Photos attached below

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay guys I’m installing but running into an issue here.
When I start up it’s showing my center display in red. Not sure what the issue is but when I get to the next step of pressing power, home & eject it then takes me to the two self diagnostic options where I’m then supposed to hold the power button. But nothing seems to happen at this point.
Any ideas? Photos attached below

View attachment 32382
View attachment 32383
have you tried the other USB port?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Hrv EX
41 Posts
have you tried the other USB port?
No issue with installing the software. The issue is the system diagnostic. It’s telling me the center display error is NG. Not quite sure what to do, I got CarPlay to install but every time I start the car I have to bypass the diagnostic screen and it’s annoying af. I never was brought to the in-line diagnostic screen

101 - 120 of 159 Posts