Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reposting my photo from January 10:

It doesn't feel like the hatch release has two buttons, it has two buttons, each with a different shape and texture, so you can do this blindfolded. The small round button on the right locks the doors; the large oblong one unlocks the hatch, and is used to lift the hatch. Press the hatch release button to unlock, and continue pressing it to lift the hatch. Do not lift the hatch using the camera or the plastic trim between the latch and the rear window. If you press the latch with your left hand, use the right hand at the lower edge of the tailgate, which will give you more leverage to assist lifting.

Manual, page 114:

This isn't rocket science.
Thank you for all the tips. I too originally thought the key fob would automatically open the rear latch, but it does not, it only unlocks. I was also having issues with the rear latch getting "stuck". After playing with it, if I lock the vehicle, then depress the latch release AND open without any pauses, the tailgate opens. If I lock the vehicle, then depress the hatch button on the key fob, and then press the latch release AND open without any pauses, the tailgate opens. If I pause for any moment, it's only during a certain sequence, it won't open. I can't remember which sequence it was getting stuck, I have been playing with it. All is good, Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trunk on 2014 honda crv

Had my trunk lid opened it caught on garage door was able to loosen it but trunk wont shut had to bundgy it down are the struts shot or do I have abigger problem ?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Had my trunk lid opened it caught on garage door was able to loosen it but trunk wont shut had to bundgy it down are the struts shot or do I have abigger problem ?
If you have a 2014 CRV, this isn't the right forum (this website is for the HRV, not the CRV).

Either way, sounds like maybe your door isn't aligning correctly? It's possible you bent the struts also, can you see if the door lines up the same on all sides? Are the hinges loose?

A body shop should be able to give you a quick estimate I would think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an HRV 2016 and yes, its a pain in the you know what. It seems to unlock but it feels that it is hooked and will not come unhooked. I took it to the dealership and they could not reproduce the issue. The trunk opened with ease--I could'nt believe it as I have been struggling with it. I did notice we were in a warm garage. Is this weather related? It is malfunctioning in the cold. Take a look online I am finding other people with the cold related trunk not releasing issue and Honda just settled a civil law case with the CRV that was having lock issues but I think this was with the doors.

·
Registered
143 Posts
CotonHRV posted this awhile ago. See if it addresses your issue. Good luck!

I had the same issue until I figured out how to handle my tailgate.
I press the hatch release button on the tailgate, but do NOT lift the tailgate. I hear an immediate click followed by another faint click about a second later. Only then I press the hatch release button again, but this time while I lift the tailgate.
It works perfectly every time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an HRV 2016 and yes, its a pain in the you know what. It seems to unlock but it feels that it is hooked and will not come unhooked. I took it to the dealership and they could not reproduce the issue. The trunk opened with ease--I could'nt believe it as I have been struggling with it. I did notice we were in a warm garage. Is this weather related? It is malfunctioning in the cold. Take a look online I am finding other people with the cold related trunk not releasing issue and Honda just settled a civil law case with the CRV that was having lock issues but I think this was with the doors.
My tailgate seems stuck in the cold as well—I can hear it unlock but I can't lift it. During days when it has been warmer, it opens. Today, it was in the low 30s, and I had trouble with it not opening. I tried all the methods in the above posts. I'll await the next warm day in a few days and try it again to confirm that the temperature is the cause.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
My tailgate seems stuck in the cold as well—I can hear it unlock but I can't lift it. During days when it has been warmer, it opens. Today, it was in the low 30s, and I had trouble with it not opening. I tried all the methods in the above posts. I'll await the next warm day in a few days and try it again to confirm that the temperature is the cause.
I have the same problem with my 2011 Forester. But it does open after some struggling. Of course no problems if car is warmed up or warmer weather.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Try a silicone spray on the door seals. Spray some on a dry rag and wipe on any rubber surface and it should help.

If it's not the seal, try lubricating the door lock. WD 40 is not a lubricant...

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are having same issue, it happened with Valet at dealer when i dropped the car off, but the service technician could not get it to happen, dealer told me they won't attempt any repair until the tech see;'s it happen. Honda of Hackettstown NJ told me they did not care how much of an inconvenience it is, they are only worried about getting part money back from Honda and basically part must fail completely

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thought I would post an update to this issue, with some new information. My local Honda service advisor confirmed with me that this is a known issue and there is a fix. They have a replacement latch part that addresses the "stickiness" of the hatch. My advisor specifically asked if I was having issues in the cold, and that is my experience. A keyfob press, or a press on the button on the hatch can result in a partial latch release. The hatch will only lift about 1/4" and then catch on the lock. This isn't about practice, or "learning how to operate" the hatch. It is faulty, plain and simple.

Like any of these sorts of issues, it does take time for the dealers to catch up to the problem since it is so random / intermittent. Enough people have to come in with the complaint for it to get a closer look. I get the latch replacement done next week and will report back with any other info about it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I think the " lock button " next to the hatch button ,can only be used to lock the door- not unlock the door.
If you hit it by mistake - then you cannot use the hatch release.

i believe that is how i discovered it to work.(after a few days of trying and fustration too)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thought I would post an update to this issue, with some new information. My local Honda service advisor confirmed with me that this is a known issue and there is a fix. They have a replacement latch part that addresses the "stickiness" of the hatch. My advisor specifically asked if I was having issues in the cold, and that is my experience. A keyfob press, or a press on the button on the hatch can result in a partial latch release. The hatch will only lift about 1/4" and then catch on the lock. This isn't about practice, or "learning how to operate" the hatch. It is faulty, plain and simple.

Like any of these sorts of issues, it does take time for the dealers to catch up to the problem since it is so random / intermittent. Enough people have to come in with the complaint for it to get a closer look. I get the latch replacement done next week and will report back with any other info about it.
If you get any more information (TSB # or part #) would you please pass it on? I have this problem too and have "learned how to operate it", but would prefer a fix if there is one!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Add me to the list… Everybody offer suggestions that have nothing really to do with what's happening, when you press the button on the fob, it does not unlatch the rear hatch, it doesn't open it, it just flashes the lights twice at you and everything stays locked. I think there is a design defect here because more than one is mentioning this. Everything else on both Fobs works perfectly. Are we missing something?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Add me to the list… Everybody offer suggestions that have nothing really to do with what's happening, when you press the button on the fob, it does not unlatch the rear hatch, it doesn't open it, it just flashes the lights twice at you and everything stays locked. I think there is a design defect here because more than one is mentioning this. Everything else on both Fobs works perfectly. Are we missing something?
Are you referring to the EX model? My tailgate will unlock (two beeps) if the fob is in proximity. Then I can open the tailgate. The tailgate does not lift on its own, if that is what your are expecting. One of my fobs was acting weird, so I began using the other one.

·
Registered
619 Posts
This is an EXL navi. No , I do not expect it lift on its own, I don't expect it to do anything except unlatch, and neither fob does that in any scenario. I was a product trainer for American Honda back in the 90s, so I understand features and how they work, this one has just got me stymied. This is not enough hassle for me to schedule a trip to the dealer, it opens just fine with the rubber pressure pad next to the camera lens. But based upon the cryptic way that you have to set the door lock/unlock as opposed to finding it in the central display like other cars, I was wondering if I'm still not seeing something after going through the manual twice. It looks like a defect in my car to me. Oh well, rest of car is perfect , other than the PDI tech Missing the tire pressure, it was delivered to me with 45 pounds in each tire. Yikes!

Reactions: Sandy

·
Super Moderator
1,472 Posts
Oh well, rest of car is perfect , other than the PDI tech Missing the tire pressure, it was delivered to me with 45 pounds in each tire. Yikes!
Yeah, it's common.
http://www.hrvforum.com/forum/401-tires-wheels-suspension/11378-check-those-tires.html

·
Registered
23 Posts

Is it fixed? (Great book/username BTW). I swear mine is just playing games with me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine is sticking as well. I've had the HRV EXL Navi since early 2015 and it started doing this a few months ago. I'm guessing after reading the comments it could be related to the cold weather since it's been a lot colder here than usual. I will be bringing it in soon for an oil change so if it's still sticking I'll ask them to check. The other day it took about 10 tries before it opened- and it's not like after having the car 3yrs I forgot how to open it correctly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can finally open mine consistently, instead of waiting for a click I play "beat the click" and press and open in one smooth move as quickly as possible. If I start having the sticking problem now I know what to do.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts