Honda HR-V Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh, great. Throw in the 1.5 turbo engine that had a class action lawsuit that the CR-V had.
Why not throw in the 2002 Honda Odyssey automatic transmission as well.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
One thing to consider is the Japanese market Vezels are a much different car than what we get in other markets, including the US. Remember those beautiful LEDs that were on the pre-announce HRV? Never made it to the US or Canada. Think of the Japanese Vezel as more of what we might see in an Acura here, if it were ever to be released. We'll get something stripped down with slightly different trim, and less features.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
431 Posts
One thing to consider is the Japanese market Vezels are a much different car than what we get in other markets, including the US. We'll get something stripped down with slightly different trim, and less features.
I think the biggest sticking point for the NA market getting all these fancy features and 'niceties' is the selling price is so low that it would not be cost effective to fit them.

The base price of the NA LX is $15,280. The base price of the UK equivalent is £20,735 or $28,791.

The base price of the NA EX-L is $26,020. The UK equivalent is £26,620 or £36,963.

Oh,and the UK 1.5Turbo Sport is £28,420 or $39,963.

My 4 year old mid spec SE cost £12k, or $16,600. We do get the niceties, but we bloody pay for them! ;)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
We do get the niceties, but we bloody pay for them! ;)
No argument there @Hadleys Taxi . But, many here in the US would like that option. We top out at an EX-L, which generally across Honda's cars means leather seats, power windows and door locks, a little better wheel, and navigation. The Acura brand is where the turbo engine, folding mirrors, and color keyed bumpers would be added. Would the US market pay for it? Some, yes. That is why Acura is a nameplate here. But increasingly Honda is finding that brand doesn't hold the same cache as does Lexus for Toyota. They can't just take the same car, add a few features, and get 25% more for it. They have to make it unique to get the market to buy it. The ILX is a prime example. It has sold poorly.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I don't believe Honda attempted to launch Acura in the UK. Nissan tried to launch Infiniti, but it crashed and burned after about 10 years.

Ford have a novel approach with their 'it contains everything you can imagine' Vignale, which is supposed to be a standalone version of all their vehicles (I don't know why the video is stating this is a 2018 Vignale, as the vehicles plate quite clearly states it is a 2016 model; 16/66 = 2016, 17/67 = 2017 et al);

Perhaps Honda should do something similar and sell an 'all singing, all dancing' version of the HR-V in NA and call it the Vezel!

They could even run an ad campaing along the lines of, "Have you Be Vezelled your HR-V?".

Then again, maybe not!

·
Administrator
1,821 Posts
European and Asian markets always seem to get better options. They to have more competitions there. Even the Fords they sell over there are better than the NA modles.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Even the Fords they sell over there are better than the NA modles.
The segment the HR-V operates in is one of the most competitive across the European market, with some manufacturers having more than one offering. Even if the MKIII HR-V is a big leap forward for Honda, it has a bit of a fight on its hands (wheels??).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I noticed that the European models offer more interior color treatments. In the USA - everything is BLACK.
I am getting tired of everything black.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for that. There's a similar YouTube video here:
It's tedious to watch with translation to English on, but you'll get a feel for what Honda designers tried to do with the design.

1. I'm not crazy about the body colored grill but the rest of the new HR-V looks great - assuming it is little changed when it hits the USA market.

2. The integrated tonneau type cover over the rear cargo area is unique. I wonder if it can be removed for storing taller items.

3. The center of the rear seat is strangely raised, which compromises the center passenger's comfort. Hmmm?

4. The outboard A/C vents with three way air flow options are also unique.

5. No word if the N. American market will get a bigger engine (1.5 turbo maybe.)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks for that. There's a similar YouTube video here:
It's tedious to watch with translation to English on, but you'll get a feel for what Honda designers tried to do with the design.

1. I'm not crazy about the body colored grill but the rest of the new HR-V looks great - assuming it is little changed when it hits the USA market.

2. The integrated tonneau type cover over the rear cargo area is unique. I wonder if it can be removed for storing taller items.

3. The center of the rear seat is strangely raised, which compromises the center passenger's comfort. Hmmm?

4. The outboard A/C vents with three way air flow options are also unique.

5. No word if the N. American market will get a bigger engine (1.5 turbo maybe.)
1. I did not like it at first, preferring the glitzy chrome alternative, but am now changing back to the body coloured version.

2. This type of cover is very popular in small cars over here, and they are all removable. Hoping that will be the same with the MkIII, however, the plastic arm mechanism that drops down may be an issue.

3. It may be a combination of the material (leatherette?) and possibly the 60 section has not been secured properly that is giving this impression.

4. I think Honda are hedging their bets with this system. There was a survey released a few years back that stated the US market preferred the AC to BLOW out onto the occupants, whereas in Japan and Chna they preferred the AC to waft gently out. This system appears to offer both.

5. The recently released eHEV Jazz (Fit) uses a combination of a 1.5 na engine backed up with a small electric motor to assist. The CRV hybrid is similar but uses a 2.0 na engine. The non eHEV CRV uses the 1.5 Turbo engine. In the UK Honda did not offer the HR-V with AWD as they did not want it to steal sales from the CRV, so I would think it highly unlikely they would offer the turbo in the HR-V when they do not in the recently revised (2019) CRV. The Civic Typer R uses a 2.0 Turbo producing 320bhp

Honda declared in 2019 that its entire mainstream car line up in Europe would be hybrid only by 2022.

·
Registered
431 Posts
@jpmccormac

Just looked at another posting of the new HR-V and it does indeed look like the centre seat is raised by quite a fair margin over the outer most seats.

Strange decision.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
@jpmccormac

Just looked at another posting of the new HR-V and it does indeed look like the centre seat is raised by quite a fair margin over the outer most seats.

View attachment 31512

Strange decision.
Ugh, that cargo area looks so cramped! I'm out of the next Gen loses all that storage room

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ugh, that cargo area looks so cramped! I'm out of the next Gen loses all that storage room

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I'd wait to see it in the cloth, so to speak. The middle seat is slightly raised in the current HR-V, however, it does not seem to interfere with rear seat passengers comfort.

I don't intend to replace my vehicle for quite a few years, by which time the only rear passengers I intend to carry will be my two dogs. And any complaints from them and they'll get the boot (trunk)....

·
Registered
32 Posts
had a hunch the next gen hrv was going to use the 1.5 turbo thats in the crv's for a long time .

interesting design on the leaked photos of the crv that also have a longer looking hood akin to the rav's

·
Registered
45 Posts
The HR-V for 2022 has a new competitor - the VW Taos - which will be available in June, 2021. Looks good, IMO.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The HR-V for 2022 has a new competitor - the VW Taos - which will be available in June, 2021. Looks good, IMO.
Agreed, the new Taos has an interior that looks very upscale compared to the HRV (well to be fair, at this point what doesn't?). No doubt it's going to cost more than the HRV the way it's been loaded with the all-digital dash and all that soft touch materials, but it's nice to have more options in this segmen.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts