·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts
I was watching a video by a service advisor this morning discussing lemon laws.

A lot of technicians follow this service advisor and I noticed this comment from someone who seems to work at a Honda dealer.

His user name is his first and last name so I'm blocking it out. A few weeks ago, a Kia tech got fired for posting a video showing how his dealership has to swap a lot of engines so I wouldn't want this guy to suffer the same fate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The same thing happen to my transmission, I just want to know does any one know what are the metal shaving belong to what in the transmission is messing up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone, new to the forum. I saw this thread a couple months ago AFTER I'd financed a 2016 HRV AWD and wanted to share my experience.

Upon receiving the vehicle the first thing I noticed was a shake when I would step on the gas, not even punching it just regular acceleration. Not a shake in the wheels but in the body of the car. It concerned me enough to where I brought it back tot eh dealer after seeing this forum to get it checked out. Dealer said they could not replicate the issue, checked my fluid levels and sent me home saying the car was in good condition. I was still wary but didn't have a reason to argue with that so we went home. 2 weeks later I go to pull out of my driveway and the gearshift was completely slack. It would only go into P/R/N not drive. I was stuck in the middle of the street and had to push my new vehicle back into the drive way and drive my old (thank jebus I didn't trade it in) vehicle. Dealership paid for a tow back in to the service area.

They saw that when the tech before was checking my fluids he 'didn't connect something correctly' and this made my gearshift completely useless. I had them explain in more detail what exactly went wrong with it and asked them to document the issue on the receipt for me to take home. I asked if driving with loose connections possibly screwed up something big in the car since it was still doing that shake when going from 1st to 2nd gear. I was told no. Everythings fine.

2 weeks later I go to take my daughter to school in the morning and when I put the vehicle into drive, nothing. No movement in the wheels. It was like in neutral almost. We sat there and about 30 seconds later the car sluggishly started moving but hardly any acceleration. Just rolling. When acceleration came back, it would buck every time I pressed on the gas pedal. I turned right back around, parked it again, and drove my old reliable Hyundai until the dealer could tow it away at their expense again. I called several times for updates on the condition of the lawn ornament I purchased like an idiot. Once again told they couldn't replicate. I said i did not feel safe driving this vehicle especially with my child in it and I want to trade it ASAP. I traded for a '21 HRV LX which has been much better so far knock on wood. Honestly I feel like the person who owned the '16 before me completely ran the piss out of that car and didn't bother taking it in for tranny fluid changes or anything of the sort.

Vehicle was trashed at 95k, I only drove it for 800 miles.

If you have a choice please never buy a 2016 HRV, the stories are real. These vehicles are not quality. If this one starts screwing up I'll never buy another Honda again. Just gonna go straight to Toyota like I should have to be honest.

I hope this helps someone!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Guess you didn’t test drive this vehicle before purchase? Kinda weird. Most folks test drive new and used cars thoroughly prior to purchase.

Good luck with your new HRV. Hopefully you won’t be a “one and done“ poster and will contribute to this great Forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guess you didn’t test drive this vehicle before purchase? Kinda weird. Most folks test drive new and used cars thoroughly prior to purchase.

Good luck with your new HRV. Hopefully you won’t be a “one and done“ poster and will contribute to this great Forum.
I test drove it, but unfortunately for me the issues didnt start until i brought it back home. Live about an hour and a half away from the dealership.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys, found this really amazing and detailed video about the CVT transmission. He tears down a Nissan CVT (worse than Honda's from what I've read) as opposed to a Honda one, but he shows all the parts and at the end he explains how they can fail (the 15 min mark is when he talks about failure issues). With all the CVT worries I've read on this forum, it was strangely relieving to see the innards of a CVT and understand them better.

In a nutshell, CVT's are noisy because of their Metal belt drive. They are not made for heavy loads so gasing it hard and/or towing will prob lead to early failure. And they can't be rebuilt because there is no manual on how to disassemble them and rebuild them.

Hope this helps ease some of your worries. Or at least help you better understand why CVT's suck. 🤪 (and I'm sure the new question in CVT failure posts will be "how hard did you drive it" 😅)

·
Registered
116 Posts
You are a real jobs comforter. I think this has already been posted/discusses ad nauseum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey everyone, new to the forum. I saw this thread a couple months ago AFTER I'd financed a 2016 HRV AWD and wanted to share my experience.

Upon receiving the vehicle the first thing I noticed was a shake when I would step on the gas, not even punching it just regular acceleration. Not a shake in the wheels but in the body of the car. It concerned me enough to where I brought it back tot eh dealer after seeing this forum to get it checked out. Dealer said they could not replicate the issue, checked my fluid levels and sent me home saying the car was in good condition. I was still wary but didn't have a reason to argue with that so we went home. 2 weeks later I go to pull out of my driveway and the gearshift was completely slack. It would only go into P/R/N not drive. I was stuck in the middle of the street and had to push my new vehicle back into the drive way and drive my old (thank jebus I didn't trade it in) vehicle. Dealership paid for a tow back in to the service area.

They saw that when the tech before was checking my fluids he 'didn't connect something correctly' and this made my gearshift completely useless. I had them explain in more detail what exactly went wrong with it and asked them to document the issue on the receipt for me to take home. I asked if driving with loose connections possibly screwed up something big in the car since it was still doing that shake when going from 1st to 2nd gear. I was told no. Everythings fine.

2 weeks later I go to take my daughter to school in the morning and when I put the vehicle into drive, nothing. No movement in the wheels. It was like in neutral almost. We sat there and about 30 seconds later the car sluggishly started moving but hardly any acceleration. Just rolling. When acceleration came back, it would buck every time I pressed on the gas pedal. I turned right back around, parked it again, and drove my old reliable Hyundai until the dealer could tow it away at their expense again. I called several times for updates on the condition of the lawn ornament I purchased like an idiot. Once again told they couldn't replicate. I said i did not feel safe driving this vehicle especially with my child in it and I want to trade it ASAP. I traded for a '21 HRV LX which has been much better so far knock on wood. Honestly I feel like the person who owned the '16 before me completely ran the piss out of that car and didn't bother taking it in for tranny fluid changes or anything of the sort.

Vehicle was trashed at 95k, I only drove it for 800 miles.

If you have a choice please never buy a 2016 HRV, the stories are real. These vehicles are not quality. If this one starts screwing up I'll never buy another Honda again. Just gonna go straight to Toyota like I should have to be honest.

I hope this helps someone!
Toyota quality has actually gone down as well. The 2018 CH-R (first model year introduced) has a lot of CVT issues. I was upgrading from a 20 year old Camry with 210K miles on it. Was gonna go Toyota until I started reading more issues with them across many newer models. Guess all the recalls finally hurt them and they cost cut where they shouldn't have. I'm just hoping my new HRV lasts me until the electric cars become mainstream. At least they'll be less mechanical issues to worry about. lol.

281 - 292 of 292 Posts